• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Too Hot to Handle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fUzZ bUnNy

"Besides, most overclockers still use air (and Intel overclockers are more likely to just use the standard cooler than AMDers)."

I read that and I thought that was a load of crap. Seriously, I have been involved in Overclocking since 1999 and I couldn't believe that. I think Ed has a bias toward AMD. The funny thing is that I am saying this and I don't have a single Intel system any more. In fact, my last P4 2.26 was water cooled while the Sempron that I have now is running on air.

If the statement would say "Besides, most overclockers still use air (and Intel users are more likely to use the standard cooler than AMDers)" I would agree with that because 87%+ of all processors are Intel, but stating that Intel guys don't do water

The rest of the article was okay, in essesance, if it overclocks, it overclocks. That is really the answer to almost every processor buying decision I make. Hence, that is why I am running mainly AMD boxes (3) and my lonely Intel laptop.

I saw that and felt obligated to respond, I really want to know what you guys think about this, or if I am completely screwed up.

he's just saying that based on the numbers alone, there are more people overclocking intel's using the stock cooling than there are people over clocking AMD's using the stock cooling.

it's a statement of fact, assuming he didn't just make up some numbers. it has nothing to do with a bias to either brand.

DvBoard said:
he's just saying that based on the numbers alone, there are more people overclocking intel's using the stock cooling than there are people over clocking AMD's using the stock cooling.

I still don't even understand the statement at all... I'd like to see a poll on this forum of people who use intel actually using the stock cooler...

But more importantly... what does it even matter? Does that make AMD better because less people use the stock heatsink?? WTF! :shrug:

'More Hondas are being raced using stock motors than Toyotas.'... uhhhhhhh who CARES?

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00906/

Last edited:
Maybe not users or overclockers but a middleground like do-it yourselfers...

Overclockers is a term for the peopel that'll drop a sink or water on anything to get the best.

Do-it-yourselfers will mostly stick to Intel IMHO because that's what they know, grew up with, understand, can relate to, etc. A do-it-yourselfer who pushes over to AMD probably is a little more of a risk taker and understands things a little more, just because they are in the minority.

A user has no idea what is inside the little box, which they probably call the CPU. ;)

Just termonoligy, but I agree with Ed if he was aimed at the do-it-yourselfer, tinkering overclocker when he stated overclocker.

mdameron said:
I still don't even understand the statement at all... I'd like to see a poll on this forum of people who use intel actually using the stock cooler...

But more importantly... what does it even matter? Does that make AMD better because less people use the stock heatsink?? WTF! :shrug:

'More Hondas are being raced using stock motors than Toyotas.'... uhhhhhhh who CARES?

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00906/
that statement in itself doesn't mean anything. it's like saying air has no color, it's just that, nothing more.

maybe it means that more people that get AMD puch thier CPU's past the point the stock heatsink can handle. maybe intel's stock heatsink is better. maybe intel users don't push as far an AMD users so they tend not to need to upgrade thier cooling.

:shrug: i'm not really sure what he was aiming for, but really that one statement means nothing more than it says.

Well, if it were a year ago I'd agree with even that statement regarding intel users being more likely to use the stock cooler. Because intel hasn't offered OEM CPUs that come sans HSF for...ever? And AMD just recently stopped selling them. And if you're overclocking and voiding your warrentee...what are you going to buy? I know I always bought OEM AMDs before they stopped making them, that way I saved money by forgoing a warrentee I was going to void anyway, and put that towards a performance heatsink. However, AMDs stock HSFs are pretty good these days, and their chips run pretty cool...so for your moderate overclocker (which I'd say are the majority, very few people buy phase change setups and I don't think that many in comparison even run water) they're a good buy.

I think what he was getting at was...does intel have any moderate, safe bet, air-only overclocking chips out there? Not ones that overclock on water or something expensive...but ones that overclock on plain old air? I haven't heard of any good bets on the intel front their since the northwood. I mean, when you're running at 75c before you even started overclocking, it seems like its really an uphill battle. And to me, if I have to buy a highend watercooling setup to get the boost, I've missed my goal: more performance for less money.

I don't understand the preceived Ed bias against AMD...he regularly points out their flaws, and his stifled occasional praise usually is accompanied by a "but...". But I'll acknowledge I'm a bit of a fan of AMDs products just because they've offered a better bang for the buck recently.

PingStrike, I think you hit the mark on this one. I look at overclocking and see overclocking. This is really like the hotrod community for computer guys. A well done hot rod is a well done hot rod. It may have come into life a Ford, Chevy, or Mopar but now it is a hot rod.

When I read that statement, I thought he was saying that the average O/Cer that uses Intel doesn't tweak enough to use an aftermarket heatsink or he could be saying that their processors are so good that you don't need to use them.

I will never really know what is going on inside Ed's head.

I think hes trying to say is the majority of overclockers (not just overclockers here) mildly overclock their systems. It made sense when I read it. People (not all people) who buy AMD (im assuming) know a little more about computers (not because people who buy AMD are smarter) because Intel advertises more. More people who know nothing about computers will buy intel because they might not even know AMD exists. I know a bunch of family friends who overclock their computers but they have Intel and they clock it about 50-100mhz faster. It's the same with people who use linux generally know more about computers because linux doesn't really advertise to the common people.

Now I'm not saying AMD is better or people who use AMD are smarter so don't flame.

Back