• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning to buy new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrome-

I've noticed that my system is old and it's time for a new upgrade, since my videocard is bottlenecked, I'm going to have to upgrade.

I've been looking around, and I see there is this one ASRock PCI-E and AGP motherboard. Since I just bought this X800PRO AGP refurb, I obviously don't want to get rid of it. So I have to get a motherboard with both PCI-E and AGP. I rather not just get an AGP motherboard, because then I can't later upgrade to PCI-E.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

That is the motherboard

I have a few questions I would like to ask.

#1: I've heard people have had video problems with AGP on this motherboard. Is this true?
#2: Is it worth it to upgrade to a Socket 939 proccessor and motherboard now that Socket M2 is just around the corner?
#3: Once I upgrade to PCI-E (which will be a year or so), and still have the same system, will my videocard be bottlenecked?

Thanks.

edit: I have one last question, If I upgrade now, will it support Windows Vista?

Last edited:
Socket 939 only has like one or two AGP motherboards, so chances are that M2 wont have it at all. Seems like a good upgrade to me if you want to keep your AGP card.

Chrome- said:
I've noticed that my system is old and it's time for a new upgrade, since my videocard is bottlenecked, I'm going to have to upgrade.

I've been looking around, and I see there is this one ASRock PCI-E and AGP motherboard. Since I just bought this X800PRO AGP refurb, I obviously don't want to get rid of it. So I have to get a motherboard with both PCI-E and AGP. I rather not just get an AGP motherboard, because then I can't later upgrade to PCI-E.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

That is the motherboard

I have a few questions I would like to ask.

#1: I've heard people have had video problems with AGP on this motherboard. Is this true?
#2: Is it worth it to upgrade to a Socket 939 proccessor and motherboard now that Socket M2 is just around the corner?
#3: Once I upgrade to PCI-E (which will be a year or so), and still have the same system, will my videocard be bottlenecked?

Thanks.

edit: I have one last question, If I upgrade now, will it support Windows Vista?

1. I haven't, you could also try asking in this thread. You could ask anything there, all the people are very knowledgable of that board.
2. This particular motherboard not only has AGP and PCIe, it also has an expansion slot for the upcoming M2! So there would be no need to worry about that.
3. It depends, what parts will you be getting if you upgrade to this board?

Back