• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this a sign of? (big image ahead)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrome-

I was just browsing OCF and suddenly this happened.

dsc009508kd.jpg

I had that happen to my 1800XT when I first bought it, turned out the card was DOA.

Returned it and got a new one, and everything was fine.

When that happens, its not a good sign :)

i get the same when overclock my memory to much after a while, are you overclocked?

It's possible. A friend's dad was running a Maddog/compusa-branded card in his HTPC with a dead fan for a few days and he got lines like yours. Your card might be permanently damaged, but I was able to resurrect his by cannabalizing a fan from another card. I'm not sure if he did any permanent damage to the memory, so it's probably not related to your case. I'd say check your fan, but if it's memory-related = fried. :(

... kinda weird that you were looking at a picture of a dead card (yes, I know it's photoshopped) when it happened though.

Yeah, ever since this started happening I've been getting the screen blacking out on me, random restarts, more images like the one I posted in the first post, etc.

The fan is running fine, but is there anyway I can check to see if it's not the card? And if it is the card is there absolutely anything I can do?

i had this with a ati 9250 it turned out to be the driver i reinstalled it and all was fine

Yeah, I recently installed some new drivers, I guess I'll give reinstalling the drivers a shot and see how it goes.

I think I have a pretty good chance of this turning out alright.

I reinstalled Omega Drivers (latest version) and something doesn't seem to be right. When I go under Hardware, I see Overclocking disabled. When I do System Information, I get this:

Clock Information
BIOS VPU 0.00
Current VPU 0.00
BIOS MEM 0.00
Current MEM 0.00

Which can't be right.

And when I save my settings in ATI Tray Tools, when I reboot they are all back to default settings.

What's the problem? I'm guessing some more driver problems.

Do a driver cleaner of all past drivers. Also take a look at your card when it is running. Is the fan spinning up? Does it feel overly hot? Can you point a fan a it with case side off (this may help with heat). Could be anything at this point. Need to do some more detective work so we know what we are up against :)

what kind of card are you using and what are the temps (if avalible)? Looks like a memory or core heat problem.

Chrome- said:
Yeah, ever since this started happening I've been getting the screen blacking out on me, random restarts, more images like the one I posted in the first post, etc.

The fan is running fine, but is there anyway I can check to see if it's not the card? And if it is the card is there absolutely anything I can do?

We need more information about your x800 Pro, as in what brand it is first of all.

As for the random restarts, I'm thinking that is a power supply issue. What kind of computer is this? Brand type or self-built?

DeViL_909 said:
Do a driver cleaner of all past drivers. Also take a look at your card when it is running. Is the fan spinning up? Does it feel overly hot? Can you point a fan a it with case side off (this may help with heat). Could be anything at this point. Need to do some more detective work so we know what we are up against :)

I just reformatted instead of did a driver cleaning, the card still can't detect temperatures or core or memory. It doesn't feel overly hot, and I already have a fan pointing at it.

I'm assuming the card is jacked up now, or the latest Omega drivers aren't receiving the correct information. I'm thinking about going back to the last version.

edit: I'm using an ATI refurbished X800PRO AGP. I'm using the latest Omega drivers. I've had the card overclocked to 520/560 with no artifacts. The heat readings (when I last saw them) were around 38c idling and 52c under load.

Last edited:
Just installed the previous version of Omega drivers, and when I try to open ATI Tray tools I get an error saying "Can not find ATI video board or no Catalyst drivers installed!".

What do I do? I'm thinking about just switching back to ATI Catalyst drivers now. The Omega ones have caused too many problems.

edit: Okay, reinstalled the previous Omega drivers for the last time, It seems as if it's working. It's detecting the clocks and temperatures. I just hope it stays this way.

Last edited:
Wow so after a few hours of usage, the computer decides to randomly give me a black screen and then I am forced to restart. About a minute after reboot, the mouse freezes up and I was forced to use Alt+Tab to get around. So I had to restart, now here I am wondering what the heck is going on.

Back