• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Is Smoothwall & How Does It Work ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

I was looking around on DistroWatch yesterday and saw a distro called Smoothwall. I looked at it a little bit because I have seen it mentioned here a few times before. I read about it and it said that it was basically a network OS, turning your PC into a router. Is this true ? Is it good ? What exactly does it do, and does it have more features than my little Linksys sitting on my desk right now ?

Thanks... :)

I have a smoothwall. I always had issues with my Linksys router locking up under heavy load. So, I switched to a Smoothwall. I set up my old Linksys router as just an AP with DHCP disabled. As you can see in my sig, it doesnt take much of a machine to run. Also, there are many homebrew mods for it to add different features.

www.smoothwall.org

I have since integrated my Cable Modem and old Linksys Router/AP into the back panel of the case of my Smoothwall, to make it an all in one package. I even found that I can run it off the PC PSU, the Cable modem uses 12V and the Router uses 5V power off my PSU. Give it a try.

Back