• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1900xt PWM mod (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxqzs

After putting this card through its paces, It has impressed me quite a bit. It did operate at temperatures I was not used to, but from everyone else's results, it was average. After 3 hours of BF2, the gpu never even reached 40*C, but the PWM was ~65-70*. This was at 730/850 (1.45v/2.14v)

In addition to fitting a waterblock (homemade pin-grid) and BGA sinks, I decided to replace the heatsink on the voltage regulators. I tried to find something from the scrap pile of heatsinks, but they were all to short by literally mm. An hour in the shop and this is what I came up with.

1900x01.jpg

1900x02.jpg

1900x03.jpg

1900x04.jpg

1900x05.jpg

1900x06.jpg

The moment I booted up, there was a noticeable difference in temps. In addition, I am now at 780/850 (1.475v/2.14v) The voltage regulators are 35*idle, 45* after an hour of BF2. GPU temps haven't budged. Another benefit is that the fins are now oriented in a way as to not obstruct the 120mm fan blowing on the chipset. Once I get a chance, Im going to pick up some copper stock and make another one to compare.

That's sweet. I spent about 20k on welding and cutting equipment this year (TIG/MIG/STICK/Plasma Cutters) and am now working on building up my machine shop. My Mill is due in next month: http://www.industrialhobbies.com/

I'm going to be doing custom water cooling solutions, small runs of heatsinks, etc. If I make any money I plan to CNC outfit the mill to automate the process and provide more consistent results. That's another $5k though.

Nice Job. I love it when people go outside of the box of typical mods and actually make the parts themselves. There is much more to this than LEDS and fans. :)

If you do get around to making a "better" one for your card, I'd be willing to adopt that one in the pic. ;)

Definately nifty. You know if you can get the fins thinner for more surface area? that should improve performance even more...

I'd be willing to part with a few dollars for one of those....... looks real good bro. I like that performance leap.

You put that stock piece to shame man. I'd definitely pay to have one done if I ever bought a good enough graphics card to justify doing something like that.

indeed :)

hes a boston man also like myself !

i will be putting a A51 copper HS on this x1900 a copper version of that PWM sink would be badass.

Back