• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle voltage vs Load voltage, which one is damaging?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

I'm curious because droop is very common. When people saying they are at x.xx voltage is that at idle? or at CMOS setting?

Generally for the Asus P5wd2 motherboards are the settings higher than what it really is when measured with a Digital Meter or lower?

Right now my CMOS settings are 1.436V and CPU-Z shows 1.48 at idle and droops down to 1.39 at load. I want to increase my voltage in CMOS but I'm afraid of the droop.

So what if the CPU idles at 1.55v, is it damageing? or is voltage measured at load?

The damaging part would be at idle, the vcore increases when your cpu is idle and droops when there is load. I would set your max voltage when it's idle.

Okay, so anything less than 1.55 at idle is considered "safe" for preslers right? because mine is at 1.50 now - and in CMOS it is set to 1.436

Back