• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[478]Prescott Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well I am testing my 3.2E (E0) Prescott and I am at 265fsb, voltage is at 1.47, what the max on great watercooling? Board is sinked and has cooling over the mosfets and ram.

1.5-1.55. I wouldn't go much over that on water. 1.6 maaayybe, but that's pushing it. 1.6 is risky. I have a DO 478 Prescott on Air and have had it up to 1.5, but it gets pretty warm...warmer than I'd run it 24/7.

Right now I'm downclocked to 3.71 so i can run my memory at 1:1. it will not go over 232 at 1:1 and I fly flight simulators, and one of them really likes them memory bandwidth. I also fly for long periods of time with a dynamic campaign running in the background and it really heats the CPU so I don't push it with that sim.

I used to run at 3.9GHz 24/7 with a 5:4 divider @1.4875v and at 4.0 with 1.5000v for benching, but I only do that spradically now as I'm flying alot lately. :)

Circaflex said:
Well nothing passed with that, so im back at 260fsb @ 1.44 (auto in bios, but the droop mod bumps it)

Try dropping down to a 5:4 divider to take the RAM out of the equation, and see it it's stable there. If it is, then the CPU has it in it, but the memory is your wall.

Last edited:
I have been running on the 5:4 this memory has gone up to 216 (270fsb) on my old 2.8C. With more volts this chip can do more for sure, i just needed a safe amount and now i know what it is.

hi'
I just got a P4E 3.2 same than you(EO), got some OCZ pc4000, and I'll OC to only 250fsb to keep the 1/1 ratio with ram, it will get very close to 4ghz, which will be very fine, on air ;)

i686

I know this chip has more, my powersupply is a limiting factor, i think im gonna pick up the PCP&C 850, one for this sytem to help stablize it and let me overclock my videocard, and for my future system in a few months.

I've seen so many threads over this and I finally want to ask. Why do 3.2 and 3.4 draw so much power? I have my 3.0 Prescott at 1.375, the lowest vCore on my mobo, and it will OC to the moon. Not once have I had to change it. I dunno, seems fishy to me to jack it up so high :shrug:

The Prescott can handle vcore up to 1.55v, but most socket 478 mobos can only handle about 1.5v max and that's with good case air flow. Those Asus mobos do droop a lot if voltage under load.

Back