• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800 Bios Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sohxc

Registered
Hey guys i've upped my voltage form 1.4 to 1.5 by changing my videocard bios. I want some more overclocking. So heres my question:

What is too far of a volt to go on a eVGA 7800GT? Thanks.

I am also kind of curious on this, I'm going to be running dual 7800GT's SLI with water cooling and heat is not an issue, yet...

yes heat is definatly not an issue. I've heard that stock is built to maintain up to 80C under load. Im at 45 under load.

Last edited:
.1 is alot. I've overclocked mine to 500/600 (multiply the 2nd one by 2 becase its ddr)

500/600 unstable, lots of artifacts; but dealable. increased voltage and all gone

I've been looking on how to do this (uping the voltage) on my 7800gtx. How do i go about doing this? Is there an easy bios mod out there for my setup?

thnx

~bikinistud

There is more to upping the volts than just heat. Just because your card isnt overheating doesnt mean the voltage is safe. 1.5v is safe but im not sure you want to go any higher than that.

I had a volt-modded 7800GT that I took up to to 1.6V without any problems. But when I tried to inch up a little higher I started to get video corruption even right in Windows. And I was cooling it to <31C with a TEC. . . . Unfortunately I accidentally killed that card one morning when I was measuring the voltage while it was running. :bang head . . .

Anyhow, I don't think there should be anything to worry about at 1.5V as long as you are watching your temps. . . . I think I'll try that BIOS volt-mod before I do another soldered volt-mod.

A bios volt mod on a 7800gt will only go up to 1.5v, higher values do nothing. It should only be done if you have enough cooling (make sure you watch for artifacts). Also, GTXs are not able to do bios volt mods.

I gave this a try (increased to 1.5v) on my Leadtek 7800GT Extreme (450/1050 stock), with stock cooling.
Coolbits detected optimal:
Before mod- 467/1.08
After mod- 486/1.12
This is with the delta set at 0, tempatures get up to about 62C max thus far benching, still testing for 24/7 use at a conservative 480/1100. This is up from what I've been running rock-stable, artifact free for 4 months 460/1100. A 20MHz increase on top of your past stable max overclock isn't bad for a simple, non-physical mod. I'd say it's worth a shot to 7800GT owners willing to take the slight risk.

mine does 500/1.2 on stock volts
i upped to 1.5 and only got to 510/1.22 so i just flashed back to stock bios till i try volt modding
btw i load @ 38C

nice results JonEapples, when i had my GT i was able to get it from 470 max to 530 on the core (was wc'd), I just wish there was an easy way to volt mod the GTX...

I had it for 1 month at 1.7 watercooled tough... after that it just stoped working while playing quake 4 :( My load was just at 42 but simply fried... Now I use this old x800

Back