• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy SH*T the 830's atr HOTTT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

I had my 830 running at 3.75 on water since I got it. 37 idle (at 3.5 with Speedstep) and 54 running dual primes. Now I have the 930 in that system, water cooled at 4.0 with 1.425v set in bios...41 idle and 56 load. Fine...

So I slapped the 830 in a new P5WD2P with the Zalman CNPS9500 (which has perfeormed excellent with my 3.4E) and a fresh dab of AS5.

This thing runs low 40s idle (again, speedstepped) and 65 load AT STOCK SPEED. At 3.75 the temps increase about 4-5C. I thought for sure the heatsink was improperly mounted so I took it off...my rice grain dab of AS5 made complete contact with the whole IHS, and paper thin. I did it again and got the same result.

Then I tried the AS5 spead thin with a credit card on the whole heatsink. I maybe got 1C better...still hot. Right now I am running dual primes at 65C, at stock speed. Removing the case cover drops it to 62-63C.

Is this chip really THAT hot?!!!!!! I never knew since it was on water from day one. Bios is 0606 btw....voltage is auto. PSU is an AX500A

well its hot alright but yours might be 2-3C hotter then my 820 given my oc
its running with the stock hsf and vantec thermal paste
820D @ 3.56 ghz stock volts
currently running dual folding instances 65C

Yes, they run warm. Youir mobo is probably reporting anywhere from 5-10 degress warmer than other makes of boards. Water is the better solution for 830's. The Zalman's just won't disipate enough heat. It's heat saturated under load more than likely. I have a Zalman 7700 on a Prescott 3.2E single core, and it gets heat soaked easily at load when it's clocked up to 4.0GHz. The Zalamns just don't disipate enough heat, and the fans they use are designed for quiet running more then high CFM. Clocked up, theat 830 is probably disipating 120+ watts. Theer's alot of power flowing through those dual core veins. hehe :)

yup
I myself am still trying to scroung a few parts to finish my wc build though I still havent decided where the best place to put the rad is...

but the point being ya this is the warmest chip I have ever owned!

Stratus_ss said:
yup
I myself am still trying to scroung a few parts to finish my wc build though I still havent decided where the best place to put the rad is...

but the point being ya this is the warmest chip I have ever owned!

Well the best place is defiantly outside the case, you just have to be creative when you mount it. The are a few main reasons I believe it's best. 1) you can have anysize you like, and bigger is always better in radiators. 2) It takes the heat outside the case where it belongs, 3) There is more free floating air so you don't have to have case fans on full blast to only cool the water system.

I don't see how you guys can deal with those furnaces. 65c...wow. My 7800GTX KO only is 7c higher than that at full load. Shoot, I have MBM set to shut off my system at 50c, even though there is no way I believe I'll ever see those temps...

Daddyjaxx said:
I don't see how you guys can deal with those furnaces. 65c...wow. My 7800GTX KO only is 7c higher than that at full load. Shoot, I have MBM set to shut off my system at 50c, even though there is no way I believe I'll ever see those temps...

Easy it's about -2 here and my room is cold. Plus it was a free processor, no complaints here. Plus it was an excuse to water cool it, eh..

You guys are complaining about the mid 60s????

How about some nice dual core rendering. And that's not even anything complicated (but I did render it twice to get the temp up there).
hot6am.jpg

That's passively cooled by a Sonic Tower. I bet there aren't too many people stupid enough to passively cool dual core processors around here ;)

Now I do realize I'm being a bit silly here, but my chip will either last 'til I get my watercooling together, or it'll die and I'll get a 920.

Two different configurations on air for 830:

1. @3.2 1.35v, dual prime using fresh air ducted xp90 single intake 90mm fan = 65c load, 45c idle.

@ 3.6 1.2v with xp90c and "dual opposite direction side-by-side" 90mm fans = 52c load, 35c idle using an xp90c, fans 70% full 1900 rpm (ducted fresh air intake blowing on memory and supplying fresh air for the HSF exhausting air out a 2nd duct, case temp = 28c, room temp 22c.

Attachments

• hsdiag2.jpg
    hsdiag2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
My 840 dual core is at 29c/85f right now
thats at i guess 70F room temp

and with my 3dmark05 run of 11040 with this [email protected] , it never got over 34c

the intel HSF was at 68c idle
I went to thermaltake bigwater to begin with
then i got my parts from the link of monthly roundup of best performing products

Who says electronics & water don't mix ?

Electronics just luv water :)

~RD

snap-28.jpg

Last edited:
Daddyjaxx said:

They're definitely not for beginners. :)

Back