• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mayhem's Blitz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

occamsblade

Registered
I recently built a new loop. I have been running distilled later, 2 (to 4) drops of PT nuke and a kill coil. I am getting slime growing in my system. It is most visible in my distroplate. Its a whitish clear. I will post a pic later. I have been adding the primochill UV dye. The system is near a window that leads to a porch, and the glass in the case faces away from the window, but it does get a small amount of outside light. Algea has not been an issue this round (4 drops vs 2) yet, but I had some red algae grow the first time I filled it. I cleaned everything out with water - brushed / wiped it down disassembled. I'm thinking now I probably should have used more than water. :bang head

I flushed the radiator when I first got it with hot tap water .... not boiling, but hot. I did not flush the blocks with anything. The lines are all new. I opened the distroplate and cleaned it by hand, but also did not flush it with anything. I am pretty new to this whole thing, so what did I miss? Do I need to flush it with something like Blitz? Also, I am adding a radiator soon, does that change the procedure you are advising - I was planning on just running it as is until the rest of the parts come in to add the radiator (2 weeks or so, infrequent usage anyway). The blocks are copper, one is nickle plated. The lines are PETG.

Don't bother telling me to lose the dye, its not happening. It has saved me so much money in components by early leak detection that I wont negotiate on that one. :chair:

While we are at it is 2 drops per liter on the PT Nuke enough? I am currently at work, so I don't have the bottle. I remember there being more than one type. I will post the details from the bottle later. I tried doubling the amount this fill (3 weeks ago) and still have film growing... but I might not have done the prep right.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Pictures

20200113_165744.jpg

I was wrong on the amount of PT nuke I put. It was double what the bottle says which is 0.2ml/L, so 0.4ml/L. Ithink there is a total of 6 or 8 drops of the primochill UV pink in the liter or so of fluid.

The film is only visible in the distro plate, and I have drained the setup without a serious cleaning when I modified the tube layout in preparation for the new rad.

So, from what I have read / seen since I first posted this it should have been boiling water ...and distilled? Should vinegar be added?

I wold like to try using distilled if possible, but if I have to go to a commercial fluid I can.... I just really don't want to.

Attachments

• 20200113_165903.jpg
    20200113_165903.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • 20200113_165812.jpg
    20200113_165812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Is the first picture of the distro really that cloudy or is it just a bad pic?
As for cleaning your rads use CLR to get it truly clean. Fill the rad with clr. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Shake it really hard for a couple minutes and drain. Refill with hot water. Shake it up and drain. Repeat until the water comes out crystal clear with no signs of crud or bubbles. While your in cleaning mode use clr to clean out your blocks.
The rest of your loop is going to have to be cleaned thoroughly as well. otherwise youll just end up with a dirty loop again. Your tubing is going to be the hardest to get clean. Try cleaning it with pipe cleaners and a mild detergent maybe? I generally replace the tubing in a dirty loop but i can understand not going that route if youve used hardline.

As for cleaning your rads use CLR to get it truly clean. Fill the rad with clr. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Shake it really hard for a couple minutes and drain. Refill with hot water. Shake it up and drain. Repeat until the water comes out crystal clear with no signs of crud or bubbles. While your in cleaning mode use clr to clean out your blocks.
The rest of your loop is going to have to be cleaned thoroughly as well. otherwise youll just end up with a dirty loop again. Your tubing is going to be the hardest to get clean. Try cleaning it with pipe cleaners and a mild detergent maybe? I generally replace the tubing in a dirty loop but i can understand not going that route if youve used hardline.

The distro is not actually cloudy, that's the LEDs interacting with the dye. It looks clear with the LEDs off, but then there's not enough light to see the film.

After the cleaning (and addition of the last rad) I should be able to run distilled with the mayhem extreme? I'm assuming that is what people are calling PT nuke. I don't see my other two attached photos now, I'm hoping it's just because I'm answering from my phone and you can see them.

Sorry to re-quote the earlier comments, but this is the second time that somebody has replied to this thread it when I get here the reply is gone. Where can you buy PT nuke? The only one I saw on Amazon was the mayhem extreme. Is it still okay to use a little bit of soapy water on the o-rings to make it easier to get the tubes in?

Thanks for helping me out.

PT Nuke may be tough to find because it was Petra's Tech Biocide a website long gone. Though a quick search found it at sidewinder Pc.

PT Nuke may be tough to find because it was Petra's Tech Biocide a website long gone. Though a quick search found it at sidewinder Pc.

Thanks. I don't know why I was under the impression it was a Mayhem's product. Do you know of any other companies that make a similar product to PT nuke? I get the feeling it works better than Mayhem's extreme. (Just a vibe based off of reputation)

Mayhem's from what I know has a pretty good reputation. Though, I have never used their products, any Biocide should do the trick. I use Pt Nuke, (purchased at least 5 years ago) and distilled water, never had an issue. My loop has been going around 5 years without a hiccup.

Back