• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to sell my Ryzen 1700 and get a 8700k. Is it stupid or greedy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rakanoth

Registered
Hello,

I am disappointed with my Ryzen 1700. I lost the silicon lottery and got a bad CPU. It does not overclock well. I am stuck with 3700MHz. With Nzxt Kraken x62, it is 45°C at idle and 75°C under load. My vcore is 1.25v. With anything less this vcore, the system is not stable. CPU Load line calibration is at level 2, VDDSCR_SoC voltage is 1.1v and its calibration is at level 5. I wanted to set VDDSCR_SoC LLC to level 2 but some people reported on the other forums that their CPU died because of VDDSCR SoC's load line calibration was 2 or 3.

I tried reinstalling CPU cooling system (because I thought it did not sit well onto the CPU) and also tried with the stock cooler and a Noctua cooler. Still running so hot. At least for me. Also tried to reapply the thermal paste a thousand times. Still so high temps.

Before I bought Ryzen 1700, I had read and watched some reviews and I thought that it would be fine with gaming. The difference with 7700k did not seem so high. Also, I just bought a new 165hz monitor and now I am reading 8700k reviews and it is whetting my appetite. Apart from this, I don't do video editing etc. but I run several virtual machines from time to time. So, 8700k should still be enough as my main use will be gaming.

Would it be a greedy action to sell my current CPU and motherboard and get a 8700k CPU and motherboard? Financially, I am fine with it. But still ... I don't want to be greedy. The rams will stay as they are compatible with Z370 chipset. Maybe, I should wait until some good motherboards pop up?

My current setup:

Asrock X370 Taichi
AMD Ryzen R7 1700
Nzxt Kraken x62 AIO water cooling
G.SKILL Trident Z (F4-3200C14D-16GTZ) DDR4 3200MHz C14
Evga 1080 Ti SC2
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
WD Desktop Black 1 TB
NZXT S340 Elite Steel
Seasonic PRIME FOCUS Modular (80+Gold) 650W
Asus ROG Swift PG278QR Monitor

Last edited:
Greedy? Are you using the right word? Not sure how thats greedy.

If you dont like ryzen, sell it and get 8700k... good motherboards are already out. ;)

Greedy? Are you using the right word? Not sure how thats greedy.

If you dont like ryzen, sell it and get 8700k... good motherboards are already out. ;)

Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, "greedy" was what I meant.

Greedy: (1) having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power.; (1a) having an excessive desire or appetite for od.

I will try to rephrase: my desire for higher FPS values is so high that this desire does not make sense. In some games there are over 20% difference but some people find it little difference. I find it a big difference.

Last edited:

Greedy: (1) having or showing an intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth or power.; (1a) having an excessive desire or appetite for od.

I will try to rephrase: my desire for higher FPS values is so high that this desire does not make sense. In some games there are over 20% difference but some people find it little difference. I find it a big difference.

for high fps , you might want to go with 8700k, but Ryzen has 8 cores and 16 threads, and i can think of some instances where it would exceed the performance of a 12 threaded processor. But some benches arent much of an improvement with the 8700k: Here's a comparison of Ryzen 1700 to 8700k http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_core_i7_8700k__core_i5_8400/8.htm more here : https://videocardz.com/73089/intel-8th-gen-core-coffee-lake-s-review-roundup additional link: https://videocardz.com/73061/yet-another-core-i7-8700k-i5-8600k-review-posted-ahead-of-launch The games where the benchmark for 8700k is better seems to be more DirectX11 than Directx12, which could utilize graphics cards more than CPU. That's why I went with a Vega 56 instead of buying a new CPU.

Last edited:

Looks like you have your answer. Enjoy your CFL system! Report back amd show it off!

If you sell your Ryzen system, you might be waiting for a while to build an 8700k based rig. Thus far, it is looking like a classic "paper launch".

Availability of the 6 core OC parts suck on Intel side. Don't sell anything before you already have the replacement in your hand.

Also I don't think the OP's 1700 is bad. My 1700 is borderline stable at 3.6 with 1.20v. I don't have detailed notes from my overclock but I was testing 3.7 at 1.30v, and 1.40v barely got me to 3.9. I think I was setting 1.50v to get 4.0 GHz but again I don't seem to have detailed notes on hand. The voltage wall is pretty bad, although I'm encountering the same on Coffee Lake, the difference being it is at 5 GHz instead of 4 GHz.

Yes for a gaming rig, the 8700K is the choice IMO. Intel still has both an IPC and clock speed advantage. I've been a fan of 6 core/12 thread setups since my first X79 rig, through X99, continuing to my current Ryzen 5 1600 ITX box. I went for AMD for budgetary reasons - the CPU/mobo combo only cost $260 shipped and I'm only a casual gamer anyway.

Z390 chipset is expected in half year ... we can expect other new things soon. When AMD pushed with Ryzen then Intel started to panic and now will be other way as CL is expected to beat Ryzen in price/performance or at least be close enough to significantly affect AMD sales.

Btw I don't know if 3.7GHz 1.25V is bad for ryzen. Most of them make 4GHz 1.4V or something close so 1.25V is about correct scalling. My 1700X can't make much more and I still think it's above average. All these chips are +/- 100MHz at the same voltage. Also motherboards are affecting used voltage a lot. Even BIOS revision may change that.

Really difference is down to you how you want your system to feel. Upgrade or keep the current rig either is understandable. Intel has more umph per Core and higher Clocks just pushes that difference even more. AMD has the core count and if you need extra cores for VM's or other things in the background while gaming for instance you can split the load and be more productive. Each has their benefits. Me I'd still take an Intel, though the AMD processors where pretty convincing when they came out... the next round of CPU's should be even more interesting.

I could run F@H more often but my electricity bills are already high :(

Run F@H on the CPU and Mine on the GPU to offset the cost :)
BTW know the feeling for electric price.

Run F@H on the CPU and Mine on the GPU to offset the cost :)
BTW know the feeling for electric price.

I just got ( let's say finally ) new laptop at work and it's based on 4c+HT i5 8250u CPU so I guess I will run F@H on this laptop when it won't be in use :)
Edit:
14k ppd during light work ... better than nothing :p

Last edited:
10nm chips will be out in a few months. Seems like a waste to upgrade right now if new chips are coming out that soon.

It sucks and I'm trying to sell it already? lol..dooo maths or something lol...aint buy ****tt till they hit a wall somewhere or something lol

I decided to keep my Ryzen because:

1.) New Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2 will be coming in early 2018 hopefully. I can easily get one of them without changing my motherboard.
2.) Intel 8 core CPUs will come in late 2018 or later. When they arrive, I will think about upgrading again.
3.) I am playing games at 1440p so CPU will not significantly increase Frame per Second.
4.) Intel Kaby Lake kind of runs hot. Delid will require if I want to overclock it.

Last edited:
Back