• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old-school brain here...new to A64 OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murrayman

I'm fairly new to the Athlon 64 world, as I owned a 2500+ Barton up to late last year, and only owned 2 laptops with Athlon 64's before this month. One was an eMachines M6809 with an Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754), and I just now traded in my Compaq R4000 with an Athlon 64 4000+ (socket 939) for a desktop with a Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939 Winchester core). Never have I had the chance to overclock an A64 until now...

You can check the sig for specs, but right now, I have very little idea on how to overclock an Athlon 64. One thing I noticed new in the BIOS was an HT multiplier (for HyperTransport?) that is default set at either 4x or 5x. I'm assuming the CPU ratio block is the multiplier, since it's set to 9x (which is low to me, considering the background of Athlon XP's I'm experienced with).
As far as any flexible OC'ing, I can't get the FSB to go any higher than 201 with a multiplier...or CPU ratio, of 9x. I've tried lowering both the CPU ratio multiplier and the HT multiplier, and upping the FSB...it works, but I can't get a speed anywhere above 1900mhz then. What should I try, considering this is all fresh, new stuff for me?

You need to reduce the HT multiplier to 3x and set a RAM divider. IDK how your ram would OC. Try raising voltage too.

Back