• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Driver can only be installed from company's web site, not downloaded, help me save it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Driver can only be installed from company's web site, not downloaded, help me save it

If we can figure this out, it may be useful for any general problem of this type.

I hate it when companies don't give you an option to download what you need but instead make you download a small setup file which then downloads and installs what you need (so you can't take it with you to any place without an internet connection.)

I found a good example, it's small so it doesn't take long to download for testing purposes: Kodak

No they don't let you download a small camera driver from here, that would be too easy. (Where it says Download Now! middle of the page)
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=130/1465

No, they make you first register (you can enter any fake info and email whatsoever, :rolleyes: )

Then they make you download a small setup file,

Then you run the setup file just to select Custom > "Kodak camera connection software" (which is a small USB driver.)

Only then does the setup file first appear to be downloading the actual driver and then immediately installing it and that's it.

Well I figured out it downloads it to:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kodak\EasyShareSetup

However, when you uninstall the driver from Add or Remove Programs, files from this location are deleted.

If you back them up elsewhere first, then try to install them, it can't be done.

How can this small driver setup installation be downloaded and kept?

Last edited:
um, are you sure the small setup file ISN'T the entire installation? E.G. have you tried downloading it and putting it onto the system without an active internet connection present? I mean, you said yourself it's just a small USB driver.

You guys missed the point. Some companies nowadays want you to download stuff from their servers *for every installation.* There are no log files and the whole process was designed to make it difficult to reuse what you download.

It may be interesting figuring things out like this sometimes so anyone interested can follow simple directions from post #1, to see what I mean and help get around this new practice of not letting us keep legitimate downloads because they wish to get us to visit their web site *every time* we need to install a simple driver.

You mean like Yahoo Messenger does? There's almost always a way. I've gotten pretty good at it since I have 56k now and don't like redownloading drivers and progs. Try NT Filemonitor or a prog like that and you should be able to see where the files are being stored. There is always a cache somewhere on your drive where it's stored. Plus you may need to files the registry files involved also.

Also, is there no 1 exe file? Try to hexedit the downloader and search for http in it to maybe see where it's downloading from and if so, try changing the address to your site or something local. And try regmon to monitor registry changes. I love probs like this but it's 24mb's and i'm on 56k so fughedaboudit. :)

Last edited:
No, 24MB is if you choose to install complete set of apps and drivers.

Run the small setup file, then select Custom > "Kodak camera connection software" (which is a small USB driver.)

The driver is easily uninstalled through Add or Remove Programs...

I believe Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 does this, too. It is indeed annoying. I'm subscribed for the "fix" :D

Atleast Adobe you can download the full product with update.

c627627: After rereading, you're just wanting the setup file? I just got it from emule so i didn't have to register on kodak. I thought you were talking about the updates which is a little harder.

1. You can just quickly type in gibberish and fake email to "register" to download a "setup" file (few KB).

2. You then start this "setup" file.

3. It asks you what you wish to install so that it can download ONLY what you want and install.

Are you saying you have this "setup" file that's just basically a downloader for drivers & apps?

We need to figure out how to save what's downloaded so that it can be used again.

For testing purposes, use the "setup" file that's xxx KB in size, is that what you have? Or enter anything to "register" with Kodak to download the "setup" file.

THEN: select Custom > "Kodak camera connection software" (which is a small USB driver.)

It will download the actual installation setup files to:

Now figure out how to use what's there to install the small driver directly without downloading.

You would remove the driver through Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Kodak....

The trick is to install it after removing it, without downloading.

The one I recieved off of emule has manifest.bom with the file and setup.exe, that's it. Once downloaded, i see what you're saying I think. When downloaded the regular way, you get two folders: $SETUP_460007_f17431, wtf (lol) (btw, there's also another one called kdlang), and a manifest.bom file. When uninstalled the setup file in it doesn't work, is that the problem? The one from emule doesn't have the prob.

How big is the setup file that "has no problem."
What do you mean 'it has no problem'?

install_easyshare.exe (self-extracting zip)

Size: 608 KB (622,736 bytes)
Size on disk: 612 KB (626,688 bytes)

Edit: What they actually are is the Setup.exe file and Manifest.bom file together. Apparently that's all you need. The wtf folder is for some reason referenced if it exists so just use those 2 files and it should work.

:) OK. What you have is just what can be downloaded from the Kodak site. It's like that 521 KB Adobe downloader. That's not a setup file. That's the problem we're talking about here.

It's called "setup" but it does nothing other than start the download.

We're talking about getting the real setup files that can execute the installation, not downloaders.

You know, like this 20MB full installation of Adobe Reader:
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/7x/7.0.7/enu/AdbeRdr707_en_US.exe

That's a real setup file because it executes the installation anywhere without an internet connection. It's not a setup downloader like the one you got.

Last edited:
Being on dialup I've only tried downloading the downloader file. I get the error "Runner file name (Kodak Software Updater.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id separator)" so i just got the app id from the other files and renamed it to Kodak Software Updater - 7288971.exe and then I get a "invalid backweb application id" etc. You're right, it is a b*tch. I may get around to it more tomorrow.

Start the downloader > Next > accept the agreement > Next >

OK now select CUSTOM > Next >

Now ONLY SELECT Kodak Camera Connection Software to be installed.

EVERYTHING else SELECT: Not Installed

> Next > Next > Next

and there you go, it will download the actual installation setup files to:
and execute the installation.

The question is: can you get the actual installation files saved?

Have you looked at your cache and temp files(also temp internet files)?

Any new drivers going into system32/drivers?

If you are crafty save any reg keys it creates and then reload them when the time comes for you to use them. Like for the add remove sections and other locations in the reg. That would allow for any system calls to be directed to the right driver. Then having the correct locations of the files it creates will be as easy as having them in the right directories.

Am I close this is a simple form of DRM?

Yes, that is a separate issue I am very much interesting in: How do you save only the changed reg files after a software installation. Please post here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=426349
a thread specifically asking for that.

This thread, however, is about the following: we know where the downloader is downloading the setup files:
Why can't they be executed if backed up?

Also, yes the driver example is used because it's a small download but what if you're downloading drivers + apps, that's where registry and system32/drivers don't help.

Since you have two similar threads I will just link to this post. I feel this is the route to take on this. Since any installs do about the same thing, but silently. [Move files out of the wrapper. Create folders/files and keys.] If you save the locations and information you have the same thing. Just not as simple.

If you grab the files once they are in place. Then save the created files to another location for future use. That will hold the files for you. Unless there is a call for a certain wrapper on the server. You still have the resulting files on your drive. :D

If it is calling the wrapper on a remote server, no bother. It is stil sitting on your drive once it is complete. You just have to find out the crazy names it is creating along the way. That way Windows knows where to call.

Any application can be saved to the hard drive and just slide back into place. All you have to do is have the correct locations in the reg. If it installs it makes reg keys. Otherwise Windows will not see it to run it. Most the time programs and other things will create so many keys it is confusing to get all of them in. Finding a good reg monitoring application would be a good idea.

Just monitor the location of were it makes registers and then make a note of it. I do this all the time.

I grab files and folders, create a key for everything then import it. Walla, no install in the since of mainstream fashion.

Since this is as a good a spot as any to post, I will link from your other post to this one. :D

Using notepad. Here is how you create a key installer for adding "empty Rcycle Bin" on the desktop: (something useful to show as example)

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@="Empty Recycle Bin"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Empty Recycle Bin]
@="{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Empty Recycle Bin]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Empty Recycle Bin]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Empty Recycle Bin]
*The forum cuts off the ends of reg keys. Please note the breaks in the keys.*

All you do is save that text to notepad. Then "save as" it like this: trash.reg Any name will work actually long as the file is ending in .reg

Make sure the .reg is at the end of the name. Click the new reg key where ever you saved it too and your good to go. A reboot is a good idea. Not always needed though/

Now if you find out where this install is creating keys. Just add the locations it creates. You just insert the location of the key creates you want to input. It will call any location or file you want it to. I got a monster reg key installer for all my tweaks in the OS. One file does it all. I can then just slide the files I want into place. It just happens everthing is setup ready to do this(move to the proper directories). I have yet to batch this proccess. That would even further automate reloads.

Check this out. It will show any locations it is creating during the install./

I believe it can save to a output text even. Then just grab any entries it gives relating to the install.

Last edited:
Back