• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P-III 750 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captsarcastic

This isnt really an overclocking question but one about Intel CPU's in general. My secondary rig is my Gateway Solo 9500 laptop (my main being an overclocked AXIA TBird/Radeon rig) which is supposed to be clocked at 750. This morning when I turned it on however I noticed it running at only 596 (6x99). I know that Intel has clock throttling and all but how can the machine just lower its performance on startup (the machine hadnt been on all night). It was cold to the touch and yet booted up 150 under spec. Is there something wrong? Just to let you know it is on battery power if that has something to do with it.

captsarcastic said:
This isnt really an overclocking question but one about Intel CPU's in general. My secondary rig is my Gateway Solo 9500 laptop (my main being an overclocked AXIA TBird/Radeon rig) which is supposed to be clocked at 750. This morning when I turned it on however I noticed it running at only 596 (6x99). I know that Intel has clock throttling and all but how can the machine just lower its performance on startup (the machine hadnt been on all night). It was cold to the touch and yet booted up 150 under spec. Is there something wrong? Just to let you know it is on battery power if that has something to do with it.

Maybe the CMOS lost power overnight and it went to defaults... except for the fact that 6x or 99FSB aren't defaults for a 750. Or is it some other proc that you have running at 750?

captsarcastic said:
it is SUPPOSED to be a factory 750

If you know how to get into the bios (bunno if it's the "del" key for that laptop or "F1") you might be able to get to the settings in there...

also try downloading and running sisoft or wpcpu from my link below and see what they say it's running at.

Also, try removing the AC/DC power and battery for about 20 seconds. See if it boots properly then.

The bios has no selection options and i confirmed the reading with wcpuid immediately after I noticed it.

I am thinking that it might be the power management since I changed to AC power and it went up to 745. It just changed the multiplier. I wonder if there is any way to disable this as a 150 mhz drop is not acceptable to me.

captsarcastic said:
I am thinking that it might be the power management since I changed to AC power and it went up to 745. It just changed the multiplier. I wonder if there is any way to disable this as a 150 mhz drop is not acceptable to me.

Good call. very good :)

The only power management will be ACPI level stuff, which is all managed through the display properties (you know, when you right click the desktop) or through power management in the control panel.

**Actually, you'd be better digging out the manual for this one, I can't be sure of that :p**

Last edited:
that is what intel calls "speed step technology" when you are plugged in to AC the processor runs at 750 but when you are on batteries it runs at slower speeds to increase battery life. try running wcpuid with it plugged into the wall then switch to batteries and see if it slows down and vice versa

Yes, that sounds like your speedstep technology kicking in, they are supposed to throttle down the speed when on batteries. My Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop will throttle down from 1000 to 700 mhz if I start up on batteries.

Back