• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at a new pump....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borbosha

Registered
I just got 2 7800gt cards to run in SLI but I think my pump might be a little too big (physical size) and will be in the way of the second card. So I am looking at the best solution right now for a new pump.

Current setup:
CPU: A64 3200+ Winchester
CPU BLOCK: DD Maze 4
RAD: Dual 120mm fan rad (can't find it for sale anymore and it's a generic rad)
PUMP: Eheim 1048
TUBING SIZE: 3/8"

I am looking at replacing the pump due to it's physical size. The 2 I am looking at are:
Hydor L25
Danger Den DDC-12V

I like the small size of the DD DDC-12V but am not sure if it will be able to pump enough water. The Hydor looks better for performance but is bigger. What is your take on this?

Note: I may, eventually, be getting a dual DD 7800gt water block setup if/when I can afford the upgrade.

the DDC will give you more flow than the L25 and your 1048. Watercooling loops are very restrictive which makes a pump's max head more important than a pump's max flow. A pump can have a max flow of 30gpm but if its shutoff is at 1' of head you aren't going to get much flow at all since the loop will give more restriction than 1' of head. A pump with 2gpm but stalls at 10' is much better. The DDC has a much higher max head than either of those pumps.

I agree that the DDC is a great pump. It sounds like you have the perfect system for it. There is also a simple modification that increases flow.

That is great news. I was hoping it would be a good pump since it is so small. The only down side to it is the cost. Maybe I can find it cheaper on ebay lol.

Oh one more thing, I have read on the DD site that some people have had problems with having to hit it to get it working after 30 days. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Borbosha said:
That is great news. I was hoping it would be a good pump since it is so small. The only down side to it is the cost. Maybe I can find it cheaper on ebay lol.

Oh one more thing, I have read on the DD site that some people have had problems with having to hit it to get it working after 30 days. Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

I faintly remember hearing about DDCs failing to start. I think it was DDCs :shrug: Whatever pump it was, there was a bad PCB version in a first batch. Yeah now Im pretty sure it was because people were mentioning the pumps being in G5s... But that was a long time ago. Im sure very very few are in circulation and 0 are being sold retail.

batboy said:
I have an Eheim 1048 and they are awesome. Can't you move the pump to another location?
It's not that I don't like the pump. It is a very nice pump but because of the size of it I can only have it in a certain spot so that I don't use any right angle bends. I am hoping tonight when I go to install the new graphics cards that it doesn't pose a problem but if it does then it looks like I will be getting the small pump.

jamesavery22 said:
I faintly remember hearing about DDCs failing to start. I think it was DDCs Whatever pump it was, there was a bad PCB version in a first batch. Yeah now Im pretty sure it was because people were mentioning the pumps being in G5s... But that was a long time ago. Im sure very very few are in circulation and 0 are being sold retail.
Yeah I figured it would be fixed by now. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem still.

Back