• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x1gb 2-2-2-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Secret

Registered
I'm building a new X2 4400+ system. (Asus 32 SLI Deluxe) and was aiming for tight timings with the ram. Anyone know of any 2-2-2-5 rated sticks? I've seen plenty of 2-3-2-5.

If you go dual core you should go for higher banwidth. Get some good pc4000 with the tightest possible timings at the highest possible speeds.

Brando said:
If you go dual core you should go for higher banwidth. Get some good pc4000 with the tightest possible timings at the highest possible speeds.
Is 2gb that useful for dual-core... even if you don't utilize programs that need that much ram?

pc3200 at 2-2-2-5 might get you 6000mb\s but good pc4000 could get you mid 7000's if your lucky. Even if you don't overclock you can run the memory faster than the cpu which could be good if you have 2 cores blazing.

Hmm, so don't worry about timings too much as long as it's at a good speed? 2.5 would be good? I'm planning on OCing, but not a lot. Thanks for your help guys.

What I mean is with 2 cores pure bandwidth matters more. Unless I'm mistaken you can turn up the ram speed without turning up the cpu. Like using a divider but in reverse. I have cas2 pc3200 and the only difference in bandwidth over my cas2.5 valueselect is about 200mb\s at 200fsb. It works for me because I have a single core processor that doesn't require high bandwidth like a dual core. Also, I can't run the ram faster than the cpu because it doesn't have that option like a dual core does. If I lower my ram speed it wont matter because 6000mb/s is more than I need.

g0dM@n said:
Is 2gb that useful for dual-core... even if you don't utilize programs that need that much ram?

Whether he gets 1gb or 2gb he should go for more bandwidth.

Ah, I see. So go for overall bandwidth, not tighter timings. What would you guys recommend for 2x1gb? Cheaper the better, nothing over 200. Any good "Value" ram that's been popping up lately? (I've been out of action for a while now...)

Brando said:
People seem to like Gskill pc4000

Yeah, I saw the thread on that. Seems like a good deal for the price. That's mainly what I'm after here, a good deal.

you want both high bandwidth and low timings. basicly your bandwidth will be hindered by your fsb or for amd systems the Hyper Transport. which is 1000 and caps out near 1100 if overclocking. so basicly ddr500-ddr550 is perfect. this way your fsb can be around 250-275. the tightest timings at these speeds will give you good overall performance. ive long since moved to DDR2, but if i was still able to build a DDR machine i would go with something that could put out those speeds with a 2 or 2.5 cas if i could. but i would also not get anything but 2x1gig since games are becoming more demanding of ram. and using 4 ramsticks not only overclocks less but forces you to use a 2T command rate which is like adding +1 to your CAS

but a good deal... memory is the worst thing to spend your money on if you are looking for price to performance increase.

The Sandra bandwidth tests were low on every set tested. It's like they forgot to switch to 1t command rate every time.

Back