• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now, this is just ridiculous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVC

I understand that manufacturers are providing longer cables to accomodate server cases, but look at the pic. I've got 20" of ATX cable that really only needs to go about 7". I had intended to mod the PSU anyway (size and sleeve the S-ATA and regular molex lines to fit my components) but that extra 10" of ATX cable means I need to size it as well. There is no way I can maintain decent airflow in that case with that moster cable taking up space.

Now, shortening the ATX cable will take me an hour, maybe an hour and a half, but what do all the folks who don't mod their PSUs do with all that extra cable? Just live with it? Suffer higher temps because of it? It's not like it can just be "tucked" away like smaller cables.... And I can't be the only one using a "modern" PSU in a midtower case.

I'm mostly "venting" at the moment (I was "fitting" components into my new build and realized just how long those cables are), but honestly, what DO people do with all the extra cable?

Oh, and the PSU is a Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF and the case is a Lian Li PC-6077, in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 2006-03-02 011s.jpg
    2006-03-02 011s.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 289
DietPepsi0219 said:
VERY nice...thats a good looking case right there
Thanks! My day-to-day system is in a PC-61 and my "play" system is in a V2000 so the 6077 was really about all I could handle space wise for the server (I live in a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan). Here's a pic of the front of the case.

good point. I've had my Antec 1030 for so long, I never ever noticed if the cables are too long. I've pretty much always found them too short. Maybe the popularity of the Chieftec design has made PSU manufacturer's go long with their cables? I think the inverted ATX cases (where PSU is on the bottom) doesn't help either.

That's a lot of cable. Although doing things like what you say you're going to have to do is enjoyable to me :D

What I've always done with anything cables I haven't used or with the extra long cables is I leave the top 5.25 bay empty. I then fold all the extra wiring as neat as I can and zip tie it together and tuck it away on top of the CD rom.

Well, I modded my PowerStream 600 to supply 120v AC to an Iwaki pump so I don't mind taking PSUs apart, but this is the first time I feel that I "have" to mod an ATX cable. I've had them seem long before, but it was a matter of a few inches and it was possible to shift the cable out of the way (like the PowerStream 520 I have in my PC-61). This time, however, there doesn't seem to be any getting around shortening the cable. I haven't pulled the PC-61 apart to measure the length of the 520's ATX cable, but I don't remember it being this long....

Edit: Yeah, the new style cases with the PSU on the bottom probably doesn't help. Even with the mods I made to my V2000 there wasn't a whole lot of cable to spare--if I'd had to use the original cut-outs for routing it probably would have been worse.

Dak9767 said:
What I've always done with anything cables I haven't used or with the extra long cables is I leave the top 5.25 bay empty. I then fold all the extra wiring as neat as I can and zip tie it together and tuck it away on top of the CD rom.
Did you follow the link that showed the front of the case? The two Athena back planes I'm using have used up every bay except one, and that's needed for an optical drive. I know I'm pushing this design to its limits (and I really should have used a larger case, but I don't have room for one, so...). If I can get this working as designed I'll have 2TB of RAID 5 which should hold me (and my kids) for several years so I'll jump though a few hoops to get it to work.

In my CoolerMaster Stacker such a cable is barely long enough to reach the center of the mainboard, if you neatly want to tuck it away behind the mobo tray. Manufacturers have to take that into account as well, they certainly don't take people who love wiremanagement into account!

I've got thesame psu & with the 8pin 2 4pin adapter the cable is pretty long. But i must admit i'm very pleased with my unit the cabling seems far more flexible that was on my previous Tagan 480 where getting the 24pin cable in its optimum positiom was like wrestling a python.

By taking both side panels off I find any spare cabling can easily be pushed through the right hand side of the drive bays & taped flat under the mobo panel & is then covered by the side panel. ATM i have 2xPCI-E leads + 1 spare sata cable + the surplus ATX 12v cable length is tucked in there.

This post was the selling point for me buying my ST56ZF. My new system will be cased in a Lian Li PC-75 . (very big case). In order to fit my water cooling radiator I had to flip the top plate, so instead of the two fan area being at the top, my PSU is now at the top of the case. I need something with extra long cables to reach all of my components.

rlemieux said:
This post was the selling point for me buying my ST56ZF. My new system will be cased in a Lian Li PC-75 . (very big case). In order to fit my water cooling radiator I had to flip the top plate, so instead of the two fan area being at the top, my PSU is now at the top of the case. I need something with extra long cables to reach all of my components.
Well, it's nice to feel useful :). And, you will have long cables--stretched straight out the back of the PSU the ATX & 8-pin power cables are 22 inches long. I cut that in half yesterday for my 6077 and still have a couple of inches to spare. Now, I just need to find a nice clean way (with minimal "extra" wire) to do vertical 15-pin S-ATA plugs for the Athena back planes....

Back