• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu voltage fluctautes fx-60

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

logathzanta

All,

I'm been working a bit more with this board and it seems as though even when I change cpu voltage in BIOS from "Auto" to 1.35v or 1.4v the vcore displayed by Asus Probe 2.0 will always change from like 1.35v-1.39v or 1.4v-1.42. If I set it to 1.4v in BIOS, the highest vcore will increase to during dual Prime95 is 1.42v and when cpu voltage is set to "Auto" dual Prime95 will range from 1.36v-1.39v, but never higher than 1.39v.

Is this normal fluctuation with FX-60 or this board? I'm new to overclocking and just wondering if one sets cpu voltage to a specific number in BIOS does that mean it will NEVER increase or is there always a small change?

AMD FX-60
Asus A8n SLI Premium

Thanks

It's pretty normal with dual cores, especially when you have a medicore power supply.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless your chip overclocks significantly worse than normal FX-60s.

Every board has a tendency to over- or under-volt the vCore to an extent, so most likely, what you set in the BIOS isn't what you actually get to begin with. My board overvolts by .05 volts, so if I set it to 1.45v, next time I boot up, it will be at 1.5v or so. When you put your processor under heavy load, naturally, it "requests" more juice from the ZIF socket, so voltage fluctations are normal, especially if your PSU isn't up to snuff.

can you afford a new psu after that fx-60 purchase ?

and im guessing you didnt know about opterons ?

douglasb said:
Every board has a tendency to over- or under-volt the vCore to an extent, so most likely, what you set in the BIOS isn't what you actually get to begin with. My board overvolts by .05 volts, so if I set it to 1.45v, next time I boot up, it will be at 1.5v or so. When you put your processor under heavy load, naturally, it "requests" more juice from the ZIF socket, so voltage fluctations are normal, especially if your PSU isn't up to snuff.

Thanks for the replies. So, do you feel the Antec TurePower 2.0 TrueControl II 550W power supply I'm using in my system may be a bit inadequate? I'm not going SLI and just have one x1900xtx card. My system specs are in the signature and I purchased this power supply because I read the length of the cables would reach the motherboard and other components in my P180 case.

Should I look at something like the PcPower Turbo-Cool 850 SSI? [http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T85SSI]. This was my first system build, so I may have made a mistake with the power supply.

I have no stability problems as of yet and have run the system as high as 2.98GHz from AMD FX-60 2.6GHz stock. The temps on load of dual Prime95 did reach 54C at 1.4v setting in the BIOS. I'm still learning and quickly lowered the volt and system back to 2.85GHz with stock voltage "Auto" in BIOS.

I've been doing more homework and plan on actually just stepping up voltage little by little and testing to ensure the absolute minimum voltage for a possible 2.91-2.98GHz clock.

I just started wondering about this slight variation from what I set in BIOS to what CPU-Z and Asus Probe 2.0 display within Windows for the vcore.

Thanks

Back