• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vista install help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickyhoward55

right then, i got me a copy of vista build 5308 but im having a problem installing it. can you help?

ive enclosed screenshots.

thanks

vistainstall.jpg

vistainstall2.jpg

vistainstall3.jpg

as you can see. its not finding my drives. to run my drives in my current config, i have to have them both set as raid 0 (1 drive each) so i have 2 arrays. could this be the problem?

thanks

well, i managed to get it to find the drivers off my floppy disc (took the xp ones off the original disc and put them on there own on a floppy) but it wont load them

There are several builds that are in beta. Lets not start pointing fingers. Also just to protect the thread starter, I'm going to assume that this is a legally obtained beta and not something that you got illegally. Since we don't discuss those things here.

Now, it appears that it's seeing your hard drives and at least the floppy. Are you able to get into windows yet? Or are you just in the install phase? If it's not seeing your drives, then you may need to search for some Vista specific drivers for the chipset.

matttaylor said:
Now, it appears that it's seeing your hard drives and at least the floppy. Are you able to get into windows yet? Or are you just in the install phase? If it's not seeing your drives, then you may need to search for some Vista specific drivers for the chipset.

i am installing it from xp. as a custom install. i got it to show up the correct file name for the drivers, but when i click on them, it just gives an error message.

[SaS]hornet said:
i am installing it from xp. as a custom install. i got it to show up the correct file name for the drivers, but when i click on them, it just gives an error message.

I think that is your problem. You should try booting to the CD and installing to the second drive from there.

N1NJA said:
Isn't Vista coming out next year?

It is supposed to be coming out in the fall I think.

And to your question. Try booting from the disc and tell us if it works or not.

acompdude said:
It is supposed to be coming out in the fall I think.

And to your question. Try booting from the disc and tell us if it works or not.

It was delayed till 2007 (All over betanews, cnn etc).

As far as I've seen vista, the Upgrade function is not fully operational yet. Or so i was shown by my teacher.

Explorer is very slow and buggy in the Beta2 build
I wiped it from my Inspiron 6000 last week because I couldnt take it anymore.
Everything worked except for the headphone jack however.

The new control panel will drive you nuts in general, networking is now a chore. IMHO MAC OS X covers up your controls less, and is easier to use(controls wise), I don't know how to elevate my status via command line, making almost all of the administrative command line tools useless because of this.

Aero Glass is ugly, I expected more from its rediculous requirements, there is also little control over it, it either is on, or is off, by itself. The diagnal line shapes... umm that was a good idea, except it wasn't. Hopefully there will be a way to replace/change DWM arround more. You can't make windows transparent, the "cool button" start-tab nearly crashed DWM everytime I tried to use it, windows has a tendency to dump the UI if things go wrong, and then not restart it.(sounds good in theory but this isn't a server OS, and should save the applications state and restart if it can't recover)

Couldn't mount a Windows XP network printer(access denied?), couldn't print from a local printer I installed even though the built in drivers installed(?)...

I realize this is a beta OS, but there are a number of flaws that can't be fixed because they are part of the new OS design philosphy. BTW having 30+ icons in your control panel in classic mode(non-babied) is retarted. If this is the release to make system admin's lifes easier im not seeing it... seems like there will be more support calls from confused users as well.

riht then, i ran the disc from bootup with an empty drive and i got to the screen ;where would you like to install windows' (see pics) and it doesnt show any drives. very strange

Back