• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I attach my VOS32 to my SlotA Athlon without the heatplate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spleen

Registered
I just got the VOS32, and I am now at 823mhz with my 650 .18 Athlon. I took off the caseing, but not the heatplate.

I'd take the heatplate off in a second if I knew that i was able to attach my VOS directly to the Athlon core without doing a custom hack job. THe VOS32 came with some extra pieces, and I think that i would be able to use them to connect the VOS to the core. I can't find out unless i take off the heatplate tho! :(

My vcore is set at 1.95 and runs around 2v (asus probe/bois monitor conferms this). Here's what i had to do to get it stable:

700mhz - 1.65 (default)
750mhz - i had to up it to 1.75
800mhz - had to bump it all the way upt to 1.95! 1.85 wouldn't even boot!
850mhz - didn't even get past the POST, so i wouldn't be able to change my L2 Cache speed unless i soderd it. :( Is this the max my processor will go? I'd love to hit 900mhz with this rig! :D

One last thing - What about cooling for the L2 cache chips? The VOS32 will not make contact with them if i take off the heatplate---heck, the heatplate dosn't really even make contact with them! :( I was thinking of using 2 pennies sanded smooth to place between the L2 cache and the VOS32 with AS2.

Any and ALL comments are very VERY welcome.

(The truely amazing thing here is that my L2 Cache is running at 410mhz! at a 1/2 devider...the default that came with my 650 Athlon...85mhz L2 OC!)
FIREdevil.gif

If you have teh peices to connect the heatsink directly to the core then go for it, just do not put too tight. and the Idea with the pennies is a good one because them L2 chips need to be cooled as well, plus cooling them can help in getting a higher overclock.

Back