• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best CPU I can fit in my MAXIMUS VIII HERO? Can it handle I9??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benscoobert

I've been out of the loop a bit, I have a MAXIMUS VIII HERO with 6700K, for the forseeable future I'll be rendering a lot in adobe premiere and blender, so I was thinking to change my CPU to the highest the board would take, initially I had just looked at the socket number 1151 and assumed the fasted 1151 CPU would be compatible, so I9 9900KF for £340 seemed a valid route.

Now I'm looking in a little more detail and I'm not sure this board can handle I9 CPUs, the asus page https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/ has a list, but I'm assuming this isn't exhaustive as it runs out at 7700K?

Can anyone shed any light on what I can push without changing my board? Thanks.

That is a complete list/your CPU support bible. If it is not on the list, it will not work. There is little point to upgrading on that platform for your listed uses. You would want something with more cores and threads as well as increased clock speeds. 6700K to 7700K is not an upgrade. Time to bin this stuff for a more significant boost.

Perhaps B550 and an AMD processor (wait until 11/5 for new AMD CPU releases)...

Last edited:
Thanks for that, not what I was hoping for, I'll have to plod along for another year then. No drama, I've been setting it rendering when I go to bed and it is done by morning. I have other machiens I could utilise and split the job down.

Back