• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What setting can I use to gain 5-10 mhz on my CPU overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Northwoods

Registered
I have an Asus Maximus Viii HERO Alpha mb. Right now my overclock is 4595. I need just a bit to hit 4.6. I've read you can do small increments somewhere. Anyone know right off hand which setting this is.

It seems 4.6 is about all I'm going to get at least with my XMP profile enabled and memory at 3400. Perhaps I could go more if I'm not using the latest version of Prime 95. Also I'm not willing to go 1.4 v for the extra 100mhz to get 4.7

BCLK.

UP it BCLK to 100.5/101.. I think you have granular control like that in the BIOS...

Bah, my MB won't let me touch the BCLK a bit without becoming unable. When I enable my XMP profile it goes from 100 to 102.10. I tried using 102.50 that bumped me just over the 4600 mark. But no luck with stability with just that tiny bump.

Do you think the 102.10 is already high is why I can't touch it Anymore? I've seen people enable XMP profile without their BCLK moving but mine jumps up significantly everytime.

Typically, on that platform, it was anywhere from 103-107... give or take...

I would imagine yours is jumping because of the incredibly fast ram you have. That platform typically cannot support 3400Mhz...

Wait? DDR3 3400Mhz??? I didn't know DDR3 went that high.........

EDIT: haha, DDR4, your signature needs update my man........... :)

That said, on that board, its memory multiplier may only go up to 3200Mhz, so it needs to adjust BCLK to reach that high. But I find it hard to believe that it wont get stable at over 102. BCLK is free on this, Z170, platform.

Have you tried rolling back to an older BIOS? The one you are using now may have Skylake overclocking disabled making it impossible to increase the BCLK past 104 or so. I know the newer ASRock Z170 BIOS's have Skylake overclocking disabled.

I can increase the BCLK but my system becomes unstable if I try more than what the XMP profile defaults. I'm obviously new to overclocking but I'm wondering if bumping up the voltage on the CPU VCCIO and System agent would help with this fast memory. And anyone know what a safe voltage is on those two?

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340 It was done here in this review. But I haven't a clue what is safe voltage on CPU VCCIO and System Agent

On a side note, I'm going to try standard memory speed and see what clock I can achieve on the i7 6700k just for the heck of it.

Have you tried rolling back to an older BIOS? The one you are using now may have Skylake overclocking disabled making it impossible to increase the BCLK past 104 or so. I know the newer ASRock Z170 BIOS's have Skylake overclocking disabled.
That is for locked CPUs. AFAIK, those microcode upgrade BIOS still allow for BCLK overclock on K CPUs as the OP has.

That platform typically cannot support 3400Mhz...

That said, on that board, its memory multiplier may only go up to 3200Mhz, so it needs to adjust BCLK to reach that high.

Am I missing something ? I have the same motherboard and my ram multi goes all the way to 4266mhz.

@ Kenrou. Are you using the XMP profile and what is the speed of your RAM?

Am I missing something ? I have the same motherboard and my ram multi goes all the way to 4266mhz.
nope. What I was thinking is that over a certain speed, it uses the bclk to reach those speeds when using the xmp profile.not that the multipliers aren't tbere.

On the x99 platform, I can set past ddr4 3k, however when I use xmp at 3k, it jump the bclk to 125mhz. ;)

XMP 3200 CL14 but my sig shows my 24/7 speed. I am using the latest bios 1601 though ?

Looks like my XMP profile ram speed may be too much for this motherboard. I get Q55 errors when trying to overclock with my XMP at 3400. (it's possibly I may get these errors when the cpu is at stock I still have to check this. Plus the XMP profile defaults system agent and VICCO a little too high for my liking. The other option would be to try and manually tune my ram, which I wasn't wanting to do. All in all I think my high speed ram may be the culprit

I have Gigabyte Gaming 7 board I'll Be moving my gear over to soon. If this board can handle the XMP profile at 3400 and a decent cpu clock. Then shame on you ASUS since the Hero was $100 bucks more.

I have to ask are you not seeing any 55 errors/ram issues?

No errors, but i think it was Woomack or EarthDog that told me to set XMP 1st (better handling of the timings) and then change what you want from there. Didn't have any issues yet if my ram doesn't like a setting he simply doesn't boot or fails stress test.

Back