• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 Max3 AGP and PCI slots died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgoode

Moved my board to a new case for the wife and fired it up no video. I have a x800xt I checked the card in another board works fine. So i go to my back uo plan and drop an old pci card in and fire it up no video. I treid every pci slot and still no video. both cards will fire up with fans spinning and both cards will work in my other board. Anyone evere have their agp and all the pci slots just stop working? I dont want to rma this board again. I just got it back last August.

I had the same thing happen to my IC7-G for no clear reason. The video just quit on all slots. Had to buy another board. The old board ran oc'ed @3.6 for about a year before it died.

Have you tried taking the board out of the case & seeing if it'll start up sitting on wood/card board? It could be grounding out in the case on an extra standoff or something similar.

Are you getting a POST beep?

yes i tried to run outside the case.no beeps but everything powers own and the video card fan even spins. This will be the third rma for this board plus the wife is mad she has to wait while I am upand running on my new FX60 setup. I should sue Abit for the stress this is causing me :)

Any suggestions for a cheap replacement ?

Have you tried pulling the ram out to see if you get the 'no memory' beep code?

The only boards I have any experience with are the Abit AI7 & IC7-g MaxII. You might be able to find a deal on a used AI7 in the classifieds. It's a great board if you're running a northwood. The IC7-g MaxII has beefed up mosfets & is the better choice with a prescott.

Thanks I am going to try to clear cmos and run without memory. This board ran fine for a year until i tried to give to the wife :)

Also try reseating the cpu/checking for good connection between the hsf and fan.

It doesn't sound like the slots are dead, it sounds like if anything is actually dead, either the cpu or the motherboard is dead. There are many things that could cause these symptoms, and seeing as no video cards work, and you're not getting a post beep, I highly doubt it's slot related.

Another thing to check is the button/led connections, believe it or not i've had somewhat similar issues when pluggin in everything on the front panel. Still don't know why it happens, but an easy way to eliminate this as a possibility is connecting the power switch only. (i dk how you have them configured, but just a shot in the dark)

Also, do you have an extra 478 cpu laying around? if so, try that cpu.

Anyway, good luck
-Gary

ok old post, lol. but i recently had this same issue arise to my IC7-MAX3 that i've only had running maybe a week. fan's and led's on agp and pci cards still spool up, can here the normal single beep, hard drives and dvd rom spool up, but no video. no visibly bad components, and no odor. it didn't happen right after i updated the BIOS but within a day or two so i suspect that since this system runs in a room that has almost no traffic, and direct access to a cold air duct that runs 24/7 below 45 degrees F, that could cause other issues, ie. outside static, excess heat... tried a battery of video cards and memory in all slots and i only have 3 Prescott's (2.8, 3.0 and 3.2 all /1MB/800) and a Gallatin 3.4ghz (SL7CH) and tried them all, the steps here including reset the bios with jumper and with the manual's steps where u take the battery out and unplug all to no avail. also tried roll-backing to the next to last bios version ever released, as well as a brand new bios chip. another shot was as hereon, described taking the system down to the minimum to post in and out of the case. on top of that, the few days before this went completely out, the onboard pci option in the integrated peripherals in the bios disappeared as well so i'm guessing they are connected. nothing prior was changed except updating the bios. seeing RMA is outta the question lol and i don't have the $ to replace such an old board with the same or even an equal system. but would like to keep it going if anyone ever found a solution. i had this as a replacement to my IS7-G that the ZIF socket finally gave out from years of pressure and moving around with a heavy HS, and then this go out a week later :( this is my home personal/family file/media server, so we are stuck for now without access to years of shared data, arg, and i'm sure yall can relate to that at some time or another. also is there a way, like a key combination "ctrl+home" or "insert", that will provoke the bios to reset itself to its OEM backup they put on it. then at least i can try that and restart and manually jumper reset it like normal procedure and see what that does. i know i've read that before somewhere about bios manufacturers having that option built in, but can't find it. sry to ramble on, but want to be clear as possible on the first shot, lol. well, thx in advance for any insight and help.

p.s. never had a chance to O.C.

Last edited:
Back