• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA Instability with new bios'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cooper

Registered
I have an 8KHA (rev 1.1), and I find with either the 1a17 or 1911 bios I have serious instability problems... The system will either a) completly lock up, or b) the video will die (but system keeps runng). The 1911 is worse, the system craps out within 5 mins, but the 1a17 has lasted up to 12 hours. 100% stable with 1809 or earlier.

I'm assuming no one else is having these problems (as I can't find any posts on it). Maybe it only affects rev1.1? I also run a 64mb DDR Radeon, but that seems to be a relativly common combo.

BTW, someone was mentioning in previous posts about a hacked 8KHA bios that does USB @ > 138 fsb? I've also heard that the chips in the 8Kha support 1/5 pci (but the bios doesn't implement)? Anyone have links for more info one either of these?

I just flashed my bios with the newest last week, and have had no problems. I don't have any ideas for you except to reflash, and it sounds like you did...

well, I just found the 8kha1a31 bios, tried it, no luck. I decided that maybe I'd try using a different bios chip (I have an extra[A+ on label], with a VERY old bios [100% stable too]). Anyways, I flashed it with the 1a31 - no improvements, tried the 1a17 as well - same.

So I'm back to 1809. I kinda liked the POST health thing, but I guess since I'm still using a 266C I don't really need the recent fixes... that is untill if/when a 1/5 is implement :)

i am using the newest BIOS and have no USB probs at 153 FSB, dunno why all others do. ANd there is NO 1/5 divider in ANY BIOS, on ANY boRds from EPOX, they just tweaked the PCI. use SiSandra to look at the speed of the PCI and AGP, no matter how high i pump it it never goes to 1/5 of the FSB it is ALWAYS 1/4, and yes i HAVE exceeded 167mhz on FSB, i can run at 172mhz FSB and it is STILL 1/4. do u use the flash utility that comes with the BIOS, if so and its unstable i was in the same boat, then u used the Alt+f2 like it says and all went smoothly. Try it and see

my board is Rev 1.3? maybe that is why

Hmm, interesting with the USB issue, it would be kind of nice to run more that 138 :(
I can do 166 fsb rock-solid-stable, but I don't even post at 167 (I've heard the same of some others aswell).

I thought the 8K7A had 1/5? Anyways, I had heard that the IC's on the 8kha were capable of 1/5, but that they just wern't being implemented in the bios. If it is true, I wonder if there is a hardware mod possible? Something for someone with more expertise than I to think about :)

Back