• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/c'ing an old s 478 1.8a.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

I get bored pretty easily, and my "new" folding rig has become a victim of this. :p

Last night, I was just messing around with the rig, and the thought popped into my head.......how much faster could I make this thing......so I tried.....

It's on stock cooling, with a room temp of 50*F. Living in NH has its benifits for overclocking. :D

Rig specs:
Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra (meh) cpu/mem ratios of 4:3, 1:1, and 4:5
P4 1.8a 400fsb (WOWZERZ!!)
512 Corsair XMS 3200LL - The board only supports up to 2700 speeds.....eh...
FX5200 Ultra 256 meg AGP card.
30 gig Maxtor
Ubuntu Linux..........different......

Pic of the CPU....

Now, it seems the only good things about this setup, is it doesn't get rather hot, hell, it barely gets warm, and it has locks for the AGP and PCI freq. I can't bump the fsb up too much, or it either won't post or will only boot halfway through before the linux kernal takes a dump, so I had to turn it way down.

Here's what I got so far.....

I can get it to post at 2.88, 160x18, with 1.575 vcore, but it won't boot without the kernal dumping on me. I've tried messing with other voltage setting with the cpu and ram, but nothing seems to work.

To get the comp to fully boot, withough freezing when I run F@H, I have to drop it down to 151x18, 1.525 vcore, stock ram voltage, and it runs fine.

The ratio for both of these setting is 4:3, I tried combinations of the other settings, 1:1, and 4:5, this one just seems to work the best.

Any ideas if I can go further while keeping it stable? I can get pics up if needed of the BIOS settings, and I currently have a network cam on the cpuinfo linux kicks out at the link below.

User: allnissan
Pass: nissan
Click for pic/streaming vid of linux rig.

The B-steps were not stellar overclockers. Median is probably just over 2.4 (keep in mind that top-bin for these chips was 2.53). If you can do 2.6 that's already pretty good.

You can try the voltage as high as 1.65 or 1.7v. It's an early Northwood, so it can probably take it. But if that only buys you an extra 100-200 MHz I'd say it's not worth it.

My 2.0a will do 3.15Ghz but only with 1.75v wich ain't really safe. Ive got it at 3ghz with only 1.575v and it's pretty stable too.. You can only go so high untill you hit a wall ,, then there's really no point unless u wanna fry your proc.

Back