• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ways to help a 7900gtx cooler cool better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

custom90gt

hey guys,
I sold all of my wcing stuff due to lack of time and now I'm under air again so I was curious if there are any ways to make the stock gtx cooler cool a little better. I was thinking about replacing the thermal adhesive under the ram with some AS5 or something but I am not sure if it will make good contact? Anyone done that before?
If there aren't any real ways of improving the stock cooler (besides airflow to the card of course), would say an arctic silencer work better?
TIA guys

*could take the stock fan off and the plastic cover and put two high cfm fans on the both sides of the heat sink

are there any tests on how much difference a nv silencer makes? The stock cooler is pretty beefy.

whoever says a NV silencer or the accelero is better the quadro coolers on the 7900gtx's sorry to say but your clueless :rolleyes:

the reference coolers on the 7800gtx those are junk but still would go with a zalman before any crappy Arctic cooling product.

Aside from the x1900/x1800 coolers the 7900gtx quadro coolers are the best stock cooling in the history of the video card.

your not gonna get better air cooling on a 7900gtx or a x1900 for that matter its been proven again and again, only option is water...

the stock coolers of the newest GEN cards from both companies are for once great solutions.

Last edited:
Rattle said:
whoever says a NV silencer or the accelero is better the quadro coolers on the 7900gtx's sorry to say but your clueless :rolleyes:

the reference coolers on the 7800gtx those are junk but still would go with a zalman before any crappy Arctic cooling product.

Aside from the x1900/x1800 coolers the 7900gtx quadro coolers are the best stock cooling in the history of the video card.

your not gonna get better air cooling on a 7900gtx or a x1900 for that matter its been proven again and again, only option is water...

the stock coolers of the newest GEN cards from both companies are for once great solutions.

thats what i figured. I just came from watercooling so I'm used to having a max temp of 38* not 74*. I guess its time to do some thinking about the airflow in my case.

Wow yea that's a huge change from water to air, but 74*c isn't that bad.
Airflow helps alot, it's probably the cheapest and easiest solution.
With my card (BFG 6800GT) i removed the stock fans and the cover and stuck an 80mm fan on it, which only lowered my temps by a few degrees C.
I found that by replacing the thermal goo it only made the temps more stable but didn't really buy any temp gains over time.

Your best bet is to just try stuff and see what works best.

I would also recommend trying different configurations. I was having heat probs on my (old ***) 5500 and some airflow tweaks made a world of difference.

I remember seeing a thread on xtremesystems about someone who put a Zalman CNPS-9500 on their video card...so there's always that I suppose, but, if you're at that point, water would probably be your best bet.

Back