• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

805 or 631? Power requirements....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
I have an Enermax 485 watt atx 2.0 psu that I'm not replacing. I'll start by saying that. :)

I am choosing between a 631 for some crazy clocks or the 805 for some nice dual core action. As far as usage, just basic gaming and random tasks. What do you guys think? I want the one that won't kill my power supply :)

-Collin-

The 631 should draw less than the 805 when overclocked. Of course, there are other variables that will make that statement false, such as how much vcore you're going to use, and how high you intend to overclock.

The 631 should clock higher, but the 805 is dual core.

And the 805 is a Smithfield (2 Prescotts on the same CPU) so temperature would likely be an issue at higher voltages, n'est-ce pas?

I reccommend the 805 because the 20x multi is pretty hardcore.

Don't take that recommendation seriously because I only have a 530J and have never experienced either proc.

i say its a tuff call... as for gaming alone i would pick the 631 faster single core clocks for gaming... if your into video editing/mpeg compression take the 805 on the cheap side. seems the 805 is around what 3.8ghz-4ghz on air? that from what i have seen but i havent seen to many 805's oced. still a tuff call as the 805 are flunkies of higher end dual core 8xx's. 631's are new 65nm running cooler and allowing for higher clocks. Based on the gaming alone get the 631 and clock it.... dont forget price cuts coming to keep an eye out.

what mobo are you planning on?

... some folks have fried their p5p800se's with a heavy oc'ed 805 and not enuf mosfet cooling ... but a p5ld2 or better will have no problem with either one from a power perspective ... and after reading your post again i would go with the 631 for what u siad u want to do with it ... not a major stress on the power side compared to an oc'ed 805 and have seen a few nice oc's on the 631.

... seys me the folder who would buy nothing but a dc anymore :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It will be in a p5wd2 premium, so high fsb isn't an issue. I had an 805 and it ran insanely hot and I saw no real difference in games. I think 631 it is!

-Collin-

I was debating the same thing just a couple of weeks ago, and I am VERY pleased with my choice of the 805. I'm a modest gamer with more interest in doing 'stuff', so I really noticed the speed difference coming from a s939 3400+ @2.6GHz. Gaming has stayed about the same, maybe a little better if anything.

natewildes said:
I was debating the same thing just a couple of weeks ago, and I am VERY pleased with my choice of the 805. I'm a modest gamer with more interest in doing 'stuff', so I really noticed the speed difference coming from a s939 3400+ @2.6GHz. Gaming has stayed about the same, maybe a little better if anything.

You bought that CPU from me, remember? :)

I just installed the 631 that I picked up at frys. Great deal they have going right now...$179 with a free motherboard. Some ECS/ATI Xpress 200 thingy. I'm not even going to take it out the box. Anyway...here are my initial results...

cm_1.JPG

Although, my 3d mark scores went down a bit from my dual cores.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
Thanks guys. It will be in a p5wd2 premium, so high fsb isn't an issue. I had an 805 and it ran insanely hot and I saw no real difference in games. I think 631 it is!

-Collin-

Just to throw this out there..... my 631 on water runs 4.5ghz, 1.400 vcore, and 60C load......... thats pretty hot. don't know how the temps fair on the 805

NinjaZX6R said:

I just installed the 631 that I picked up at frys. Great deal they have going right now...$179 with a free motherboard. Some ECS/ATI Xpress 200 thingy. I'm not even going to take it out the box. Anyway...here are my initial results...

cm_1.JPG

-Collin-

Weird. 631 on S478 according to CPU-Z. Methinks you should get a newer version of it ;)

Haha, that's right, Collin, mah bahd. That's a really good OC, I wish your old 805 could do that.....;)

NinjaZX6R said:

cm_1.JPG

-Collin-
what kind of cooling?

Evilsizer said:
what kind of cooling?

Running a Scythe Ninja hsf with the standard 120mm fan. Not bad eh? Temps are VERY low from what I have seen. Idling around 37c and peaking at around 52c under full load.

-Collin-

yes yes , the ninja is a sweet hs... got 42c load @3.6ghz here... with no fans on the hs. :attn:

Back