• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRC Errors during all installations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow6107

Registered
Alright. I'm new to these forums, so I hope I am posting in the right place, and I hope that I can get the help I need here. Recently, my computer has been acting up a whole lot. Whenever I install anything on my computer (whether it's a game or software) my computer always messes up the install about half-way through. I'll place a disc in the drive and begin the install, and then an error message will come up with "CRC Error" and a bunch of other misc. stuff, at first I figured it would be a scratched disc or something, but sure enough, it's happened with every single installation since the first time I got the error. (When I was installing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) So, I know the drive isn't the problem, because I just got a new DVD burner recently and that didn't solve it. What else can I do to get rid of these errors and get back to using my computer? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Michael

Last edited:
Alright, more trouble from my computer. I have tried nearly everything to stop these CRC errors, I'm getting desperate actually. I've tried different disc drives (bought a new NEC DVD Burner), I've replaced my IDE cable for my CD drives, and I've even gotten a new SATA Hard Drive... Yet nothing has fixed this problem. It has become apparent that it will not be fixed by throwing money at it, so any more help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated!

-Michael

I assume by reading the thread that these errors only occur during software installation. In other words you can surf the web and run other already installed programs without a problem. If this is true, you may be looking at a mobo issue. Try connecting the DVD drive to a different IDE channel. I assume that you have no other drives connected to the IDE channel since you are using SATA hdd. If you have another drive connected to the IDE channel, just run with the DVD. Set the jumper on the DVD to single drive and try it. If that doesn't help, set the jumper to cable select and try it.

I definitely appreciate all the help guys, I ran a whole bunch of tests on all my sticks of RAM, and found out which one was causing all my problems! I took it out and my comp works good as new! (despite missing 1 GB of RAM...)

just had a PC at work with the exact same symptoms and it was a bad stick of RAM, so that's what I figured. Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks again for all the help and support, definitely going to stick around here for whenever I need help, or when I can offer it!

Back