• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU for my setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

Hi, As of today and an unforunate 'accident', my 6600GT is out of action.

soo, im in the market for a new graphics card....

The 6600GT was great, but im after more grunt. My budget is pritty low, but i can save. The setup is 'greed' in my sig. I have just bought some Mushkin ram to go in that to replace the kingston. My cpu is good for 2.7Ghz, depending on bios. Im hopping the TCCD bios will do a good job with that. D43 dosn't like it. At the Very least im running 2.53Ghz core stable daily.

As far as i can tell my options are this, as i have AGP.
6600GT ($230AUD) 6800GS(~$350AUD) 7800GS(~$490AUD)

This rig will be my main gaming center for some time, at least untill mid-end of next year after AM2 has been around for a while and upgrade market is a little clearer.

My quiestion is this, if i was to save a little and then get a 7800gs, would my pc even be fast enough to ensure i got its full potential? Is it a worthwhile card getting?

Uletimately i would be happy with a 6600GT again, but i killed mine in an attept to get more performance from it. I want to play oblivion with good graphics. I don't game much above 1024x768, desktop it 1152, but increasing this res would not be an issue :D

One more thing (dare i say it), might it be worth while looking at ATI's range of agp cards. Ive never own an ATI, but if the performance is good, then ill be tempted.

Last edited:
IMHO, the cpu would bottleneck a 7800gs. The 6800gs is a good choice, I run one (check sig) and am very happy with it. i believe that it will hold me over for at least a year more (I hope). Even though my 6800gs did not unlock, that is not to say that 16p/6v is not possible with that card...

Back