• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wifi cable length

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should be irrelevant

(And by that, I mean the cable should bea ble to be any length).

There will be attenuation with a longer cord, but if the cable is a good enough guage, then it should be fairly neglegable. If antenna extension cords are sold for that purpose, then any one built for your device should do, if you are making it on your own, then your mileage may vary.

You don't want to separate the antennas too much, as the AP uses the one with the best reception (usually, some times it's static) to transmit, and when it does transmit, it expects to be heard by all attached nodes (if not, badness will ensue). It's probably cheaper and easier to move the access point.

khiloa: He's asking about an extension cord between an access point and an antenna for an access point.

I can't give an educated answer...but maybe a somewhat educated guess...? I'd think that 100' between the card and the antenna is pretty far. But, like I said, I couldn't really say for sure.

Why do you need 100' between your card and antenna?

overclucker said:
i need to run about 100' of it

Pretty much forget 100' without spening some $$. For 100' I would recomend using 5/8" Heliax (about 1 1/4" in diameter) at about $4/ft. or use LMR400 at about $.50/ft + an amplifier $100-$400.

Ddruid_SMP said:
Pretty much forget 100' without spening some $$. For 100' I would recomend using 5/8" Heliax (about 1 1/4" in diameter) at about $4/ft. or use LMR400 at about $.50/ft + an amplifier $100-$400.

yeahh, no....

what about putting a wireless router running as a switch then upgrading the antennas, then running a cat5 cable back into my room to my computer?

If you are putting this antenna on a tower, look into running either your router/computer on the tower, in a nice ventilated, but rain proof box. Then use Power over Ethernet to power the router through your cat5 cable. Good luck :).

- Jim

I'm with ThePCGuy. 100' of high-quality coax to run to an antenna will be just a wee bit expensive. 100' of CAT-5 and an access point to put at the end of it right next to the antenna should be quite a bit cheaper.

JigPu

http://www.deliberant.com/estore/pc-77-4-dlb2310-250mw-80211bg-ap-ap-client.aspx

Put that on the roof or tower along with an antenna of your choice. I would suggest

http://www.deliberant.com/estore/c-23-24ghz.aspx

one of those to suit your needs. I would say probably the 9dBi sector and then aim it where you want it.

You could do some work to modify the wrt into a box that is outdoor suitable, and then design your own PoE injectors, and add in the antenna system of your choice.

Its up to you, but the deliberant unit will last much longer outside compared to the wrt.

Back