• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why can't I run 1T (or oc my RAM much)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

Okay, so as the title implies, I am having some trouble with my RAM. I have a single 512MB stick of Geil Ultra-X using the UTT-BH chips. My motherboard is a Chaintech VNF3-250, and the cpu is a Sempron64 3000+.

My problem is I cannot run 1T with any stability at decent speeds whatsoever. I can't even run 1T at the stock 200MHz 2-2-2-5, regardless of voltage. I can run 1T at around 193MHz 2-2-2-6, but that is about it. Any higher, and I just get constant beeping and have to clear my CMOS.
I have tried changing my RAM to some Centon PC3200 that I know works fine with 1T up to around 225MHz on my socket A boards. That did not help at all; I got the constant beeping at stock speeds once again.

In addition to the problem with 1T, I just cannot oc my RAM as much as it seems I should be able to. My Geil can only do around 225 with any timings and any voltage (including using a DDR Booster to around 3.6V) while running 2T. My Centon can get around 230 2T, so that seems to be fine, but I can't say for sure because of the problem with 1T.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I'm not sure if it is the memory controller, motherboard, or just the memory.
Thanks

Edit: Here is an old thread that I made closer to when I first got my Ultra-X: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=440635

My nForce3 Socket 754 mobo's BIOS insists on defaulting to 2T when I tell it to use SPD settings, and I think it always uses 2T if more than one memory module is installed.

I think that lots of modules made with unbranded chips have SPDs wrongly programmed for 1T. And I can't believe that UTT chips are really UnTesTed but instead they have to be rejects because how can a chip maker know which chips are good are unless all of them are tested?

larrymoencurly said:
My nForce3 Socket 754 mobo's BIOS insists on defaulting to 2T when I tell it to use SPD settings, and I think it always uses 2T if more than one memory module is installed.

I think that lots of modules made with unbranded chips have SPDs wrongly programmed for 1T. And I can't believe that UTT chips are really UnTesTed but instead they have to be rejects because how can a chip maker know which chips are good are unless all of them are tested?
My board lets me control the 1T/2T setting. I believe it always defaults to 2T though. I have my RAM at 196MHz 2-2-2-6 1T right now and it is fine. Any higher and it starts to have random freezes. I would definitely like to get it running faster, but I am not sure if my motherboard or cpu is limiting me.
The Geil site says that the chips are hand picked on the Ultra-X. I do believe they are untested by Winbond themselves, and the testing is left to the manufacturer of the RAM, in this case Geil.

downer said:
try posting here http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46 about your problem . That forum is fairly active. I have posted there before with a problem about my vnf3-250 and they helped me out.
Ok thanks; I'll do that sometime.
downer said:
Are you absolutely sure that your Geil sticks are using BH5 chips?
They should be. They used TCCD and then switched over to the UTT, and I just got mine late last year, which was well after they made the switch. I have tried to treat them like TCCD and I didn't really get anywhere.

Back