• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Known issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chia

Hello everyone,

Just did my first OC today, and I noticed something a bit odd. I ran up my processor to 2.42 ghz, and it shows correctly in CPU-Z. However, in the Windows XP system control panel, the speed has actually gone down to 1.98 ghz. I've also noticed that in the BIOS itself, it posts the wrong speed (really odd, considering that's where I'm setting the thing...) Any ideas?

System specs:
Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2.2 ghz stock, 2.42 ghz OC, x11, 220 mhz HTT)
2 GB Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2pt (2,3,3,6)
ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard (latest BIOS)

Last edited:
i was gonna say bios, but you say you have the latest...

i've noticed programs like 3dmark list my clock wrong(and won't let me publish for that reason), it usually comes down to instability though, maybe try a slight bump in voltage??? just to see if that cures it

I stepped the voltage up by .05, and now both CPU-Z and the BIOS/Windows are reporting both cores at 1.86 ghz...

In short, it doesn't look like it fixed anything, possibly made things worse.

Yes you should... that's what cn'q does... when not needed it drops your multi in order to keep the cpu cooler and quiter.... a.k.a. cool n quiet :)

Back