• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which psu cable to Radeon x1800xt with Enermax modular psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

I'm a little confused, so hoping someone can just answer a simple question for me. Its applies to both the PSU and GPU hence why i posted here.

I have got a bunch of parts today and building a new system.

My problem however is this.....

The Radeon x1800xt that comes with its own power cable, this is a 6 pin to standard molex that the graphic card documentation says i should use. However the enermax has its own red coloured PCI-E cables that are 6 pin and the manual says they should be used for PCI-E VGA etc......

The problem with this is that the 6 pin connector for the Radeon only actually has 3 or 4 pins inside the 6 pin connector, and my PSU cables have all 6 pins inside, and along with this the PSU manual says using the incorrect cables can cause system damage. Now i would'nt mind using the Radeon cable, but this means i needlessly have to plug in a molex connector where i don't need it. I have a sata drive going by the card so it will be a total waste to have a standard molex in that area of the board if there is no need.

Can someone with an enermax and a radeon that uses the same design verify wether they were able to use the PCI-E psu cables or wether they didnt take the the risk and stuck with the Radeon's supplied cable.

I'll stick the Radeon supplied one for now while i test the system, all the same i'd like some feedback on wether the PSU supplied cables will be fine with the card or not, i don't wanna take a stupid risk for the sake of curiousity.

Appreciate any help on the matter, or a link to where i can find the info would be just as helpful.

TIA ;)

Last edited:
You will be fine using your powersupply cable. The only reason the manual recommends that you use the included one is because the one you may have is of low quality. However, one comming from a power supply is not likely to be of low quality. Go ahead and use the one from the powersupply.

Yep, i did a little reading about and got the general idea it would be fine so just went for it and it was fine.

This card is rocking........ BF2 maxed out runs perfect on single player, not patched to test online so will wait to see results there.

Thanx for the response.. ;)

Back