• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sli Premium: Updated BIOS, now PC won't boot w/ extra IDE HDD hooked up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

So before I updated the BIOS, the PC would always boot fine w/ my Raptor HDD hooked up (SATA of course) and the 160gb IDE for storage.

Now, it won't boot. It'll get all the way to the "boot GUI" (the one you can disable w/ msconfig in Run, where the little blue bar moves across the screen w/ the Windows logo above) and it just stays at the boot GUI screen.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

I tried installed some jumpers, and moved the HDD on the IDE cable (to the other connection) and it still doesn't work.
:bang head

Do you have a Windows 98SE DOS program FDISK.COM? If you do, go the BIOS setup screen and disable your IDE hard drive, then try booting to DOS and type: FDISK /MBR. Then take out your floppy disk and reboot your PC (make sure to re-Enable your hard drive in the process) and see if that helps.

It's actually past that point, because it's at the Windows XP logo, AFAIK. Rewriting the MBR isn't gonna fix that, AFAIK.

RJARRRPCGP said:
It's actually past that point, because it's at the Windows XP logo, AFAIK. Rewriting the MBR isn't gonna fix that, AFAIK.

That saved me tons of times before, it doesn't do any harm either, it's worth a try. But if you are afraid of any harm, then well, I guess we'll see if someone else can offer a better workaround.

Back