• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 5/6 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I know you have to have all the hard drives the same size in an array...but what if they're not all the same company? Like WD and Seagate 400Gb satas?

wait...wait... the other one is not seagate... it's another WD but the Raid edition... still same thing as before?

As long as you are not mixing different speed drives (ie: 7200rpm with 10krpm), the drives are the same size (they will likely vary by a few bytes), and you are creating the array with the mixed disks (not extending it), then it should be OK. It will be a lot more stable with all the same drives.

....SO which is it?... It's ok...not ok... not ok but won't actually kill anything....

Both are 16mb cache, 7200 rpm, 400gb, Sata 150... But the raid edition is the 5 yr warranty WD4000YR, and the other is 3 yr warranty WD4000KD.

They're the same drive right - or very close...i'm thinking no future problems...?

infinitevalence said:
really the restriction only applies to raid 0/1 if your doing a raid 5 or 6 you can mix and match brands, speeds, and sizes.
If you mix speeds, then all of your reads & writes will slow to the slowest disk. The faster disks will complete the operations, but will sit idle waiting for the slower disks. It'll work, but you lose some of the speed advantage. In the case of mixed speeds, I would create two arrays instead.

It should be OK to mix & match, but it would be much safer with all of the same drive. In your case, it's more likely that the 3-year warranty drives will fail sooner than if you bought all 5-year warranty drives, which are likely a higher-quality drive.

Back