• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erusfatum

i have a radeon 9550 graphic card and the ubuntu doesnt recognise it, does it needs drivers or something? where i can find them? and the resolution is 640*480

there is only one driver there to download it seems with .run extension
Download that file, install your kernel headers for your kernel. "sudo chmod a+x <ati.run file>" and then ./<ati.run file>

And then pray the driver likes your Xorg version (ati is notorious for very bad linux drivers)

emm after doing "sudo chmod a+x <ati.run file>" and then ./<ati.run file>, i when i run aticonfig it says command not found, i cant select the disto i have when its installing because the resolution is too small and i cant see the ok button even if i move the window as up as it goes

when i type "sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx" from the guide that unseenmenace gave me it says that it could not find xorg-driver-fglrx

sudo apt-cache search fglrx

xserver-xorg-driver-ati - X.Org X server -- ATI driver
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-9-386 - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on 386

And I mean "man apt-get". If you never learn on your own, we will pre-chew commandlines for you to type in until you're 80. Neither us nor you will want that (I hope).

klingens said:
And I mean "man apt-get". If you never learn on your own, we will pre-chew commandlines for you to type in until you're 80. Neither us nor you will want that (I hope).

But it is a bit hard to just learn on your own... Asking for help here for what to type once is not a problem, asking the same question once a day, week or month on the other hand is a BIG problem. Chill Klingens, you'll live longer that way.

People here have told him "Type this, then type that, and then enter this on the commandline" for several days now and his questions show no sign of improving his knowledge over that time. Maybe it's time for him to type stuff in there on his own?

Looking up howtos himself and applying a little logic to what he reads is not esoteric Linux wizardry. It's common sense or logic.

Back