• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
klingens said:
People here have told him "Type this, then type that, and then enter this on the commandline" for several days now and his questions show no sign of improving his knowledge over that time. Maybe it's time for him to type stuff in there on his own?

Looking up howtos himself and applying a little logic to what he reads is not esoteric Linux wizardry. It's common sense or logic.
Wow, you actually made it to being a senior with that attitude. I am teaching myself linux, so I know where erusfatum is coming from. Linux requires a lot of patience, from both the student and the teacher.

As I already said: this particular problem does NOT require any specific Linux knowledge whatsoever but text understanding and logical thinking. Only difference to Windows would be there is text to type in instead of buttons to click for example.

yeah but the most things you have been telling me didnt work, thats why i have been asking again, to find one what will work. and i have been using linux for a week and the only commands i know is "ls,cp,rm,pwd, cd, mkdir, rmdir" and that all. ok then, sorry for asking. i know its annoying when bunch of noobs come and ask the same questions all the time and dont research by them selves..

erusfatum said:
the only commands i know is "ls,cp,rm,pwd, cd, mkdir, rmdir" and that all.
"man" is the command to look up the MANual pages that are (usually) installed with every package. If you don't know how to a particular command/program works/what it does, typing "man <program>" will usually work. There's even a man page for the manual itself, try "man man" out. Too bad "man woman" doesn't work....

Anyway, man is a command everybody should know and use, it'll answer a lot of basic questions.

You may have to add in the world repository to get the ati drivers. I'm not an Ubuntu user, so you'll have to figure out that one on your own. Now, man apt-get will explain this to you, but I'll explain it anyway.

sudo just lets you run the command as root.
Code:
apt-get install <packagename>
is how you use apt-get to install software. Now, since your search did not turn up a package named xorg-driver-fglrx, why would you run sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx? The purpose of the search was to find the name of the driver package so you could install it. The driver you found was xserver-xorg-driver-ati, so to install that you would run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-driver-ati

Now I think this is the open source xorg ati driver, which should give you 2d support on most ati cards (once the x server is configured properly). You may have to do something with repositories to get the ati binary drivers, did you try the instructions that Unseen Menace linked to?

i have one small problem now, i installed kububntu and cant configure the internet settings because of the resolution, can i update the drivers without the internet?

Stop your X server and displaymanage ("/etc/init.d/kdm stop" in a console ctrl+alt+f1) then run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. There you can change the resolution. VESA should be able to do 1024x768 fine. Just disable the other resolutions

I see a lot of good, helpful suggestions on here. I am learning Ubuntu at the moment as well, and it took me 3 hours last night to figure out how to install video card drivers. It was a pain. My suggestion is: When Googling for your answer, include 'howto' in your search string. That made all the difference in the world to me and I was able to get the 8762 drivers installed for my nVidia card. Now I enjoy Ubuntu in 85hz goodness. Yum.

Now this is disturbing:
hibner said:
Wow, you actually made it to being a senior with that attitude. I am teaching myself linux, so I know where erusfatum is coming from. Linux requires a lot of patience, from both the student and the teacher.
Yes, his suggestions helped me greatly even though I am not installing the ATI drivers. I learned a lot about the commands and not only do I know how to do what I wanted to do, I have the pleasure of knowing that I didn't simply copy/paste someone else's pre-chewed answer.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat that day; Teach him how to fish, and he will not go hungry again.
klingens said:
And I mean "man apt-get". If you never learn on your own, we will pre-chew commandlines for you to type in until you're 80. Neither us nor you will want that (I hope).
Thank you, kilgens, sound advice.:thup:

EDIT: Yikes! Please don't tell itshondo that I'm using Ubuntu, not PCLinuxOS. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dice said:
That made all the difference in the world to me and I was able to get the 8762 drivers installed for my nVidia card. Now I enjoy Ubuntu in 85hz goodness.

Since it's fresh in your mind why not share how you did it, step by step?

easiest way to install nvidia drivers under ubuntu is to download the automatrix script from ubuntu forums which also provides all the media and dvd codecs

emm i have done the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and changed the resolution selections to "1024x768" and "800x600" and the resolution is still the same :shrug:

Enbalmed said:
Since it's fresh in your mind why not share how you did it, step by step?
Not a chance. It is not fresh in my mind at all.:p I fumbled with it for hours and a step-by-step would take hours also. I did, however, google 'ubuntu+nvidia+howto' and found the following guide.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper said:
1) Download the installer from this page according to your architecture (32bit or 64bit) http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

2) Open Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc linux-headers-`uname -r`
NOTE: if APT complains because it can't find any package to remove in steps 5-6 it's not a problem at all and you can go ahead with the next steps. If there were other errors you should report to me.

3) Then open Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` linux-restricted-modules-common nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
It will ask you to remove also several files (among which linux-386, etc.): answer Yes.
4) remove the file manually:
Code:
sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-*
5) Press CTRL-ALT-F1 (so as to get to the command line, not a windowed terminal, but out of the graphical interface GUI)
login with your username and password (if required)

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
cd [I]“directory_where_you_have_the_nvidia_installer”[/I]
NOTE: If and ONLY IF you use a Breezy kernel or a recompiled kernel lower than 2.6.15x have a look at point 14) in the PROBLEMS SECTION and DO NOT
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` linux-restricted-modules-common nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
patch the nvidia installer, just extract it and run it as described below.

6) Extract the content of the installer:
Code:
sh /path_to_the_installer/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run --extract-only
NOTE: of course you will have to replace "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run" with the name of the installer you want to use (e.g. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8756-pkg2.run, etc.)

A new folder will be created
Code:
cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1
Make a backup of your xorg.conf
Code:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
[In this way if anything goes wrong and you have problems with the xserver (i.e. if it doesn't start) you can type:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf ]

Install the driver:
Code:
sudo ./nvidia-installer -n --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/
Copy the following files:
Code:
sudo cp --no-dereference /usr/lib/xorg/lib/libX* /usr/lib/xorg/modules/
sudo cp /usr/lib/xorg/lib/modules/drivers/* /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/
sudo cp --no-dereference /usr/lib/xorg/lib/modules/extensions/* /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/
NOTE: If you have Ubuntu 64bit you can't install OpenGL32bit compatibility libraries, so when the installer asks whether to install it just answer no OR you may want to try 2 workarounds which Draugen and Stormbringer found but which I haven't tried myself (look at the PROBLEMS SECTION at the end of the guide: point 5).
7) Make a backup of your xorg.conf
Code:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
[In this way if anything goes wrong and you have problems with the xserver (i.e. if it doesn't start) you can type:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf ]
NOTE: if you own a GeForce4 420 Go or a GeForce4 440 Go you should follow also point 8 of the PROBLEMS SECTION.

NOTE: If you use the nvidia installer version 8174 or higher you can go straight to the next point.
Install the xorg configurer by Nvidia
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
Enable the driver in your xorg:
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig
8 )
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start (or "kdm start" if you use KDE)
Congratulations, you have installed the new nvidia driver!

9) NOTE: the following step is NOT needed for driver 8174 or higher (therefore you can go to step 10). If you want a "control panel" which shows the settings of your card you might want to install "nvidia-settings" although they driver works fine also without it (the choice it's up to you).
Open Terminal or Konsole and type
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
Then
Code:
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/NVIDIA-Settings.desktop
OR (if you use any other Desktop Environment)
nano /usr/share/applications/NVIDIA-Settings.desktop
Insert the following lines into the new file:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=NVIDIA Settings
Comment=NVIDIA X Server Settings
Exec=nvidia-settings
Icon=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;System;

Save the file and exit.

10) Log out and restart the xserver by pressing CTRL+ALT+Backspace
You will be able to see "Nvidia settings" in the menu (the one from which you launch all the applications)
REMEMBER: every time your kernel is upgraded or changed with another one you have to reinstall the drivers.

UnseenMenace said:
easiest way to install nvidia drivers under ubuntu is to download the automatrix script from ubuntu forums which also provides all the media and dvd codecs

Unseen one thing with that, it worked AWESOME for me in Kubuntu but for whatever reason I could not get Ubuntu to accept the drivers, same script same installer just kept having to go back to ctrl alt f1 and hitting
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Back