• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Region dilema

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krack3d

Registered
Okay, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. >_<

So here is my problem as best I can describe it. I want to watch a region 3 DVD on my computer, which I thought wouldn't be too difficult.

So, first I try changing the region settings using the hardware properties and I get the message:
Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains region 3 media and you have administration privilege.

Second, I tried installing DVD ghost, and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I insert the DVD and the DVD tray seems to be trying to do something, but it doesn't read the DVD.

If anyone can help, I really appreciate it. I'd like to be able to view region 3 DVDs.. yeah, I like kung fu movies okay. XP

Contact the manufacturer of your DVD drive to see if a firmware upgrade is available which corrects the problem with changing the region setting.

Could, you get a cheap region 3 DVD drive to play your region 3 movies?

Sounds silly but there was a reason why this was inacted (mostly involves piracy from contries that don't have copywrite laws)

Just use VLC Player

AFAIK, it should be able to play any region of DVDs. Depending on your DVD player though, it may take awhile to start playing (5-10 minutes at the most) because it has to decode the DVD somehow. It works fine for me, and it also doubles as an excelent video player!

Edit: Oh, and it's free, so no trial versions like AnyDVD listed above. :D

VLC is a good player, have used it in Windows and Linux.

And Kirby64, :welcome: TO the Forums!

Thanks for all the quick replies!

moz_21 said:
Rip and convert?

Can't do that if the dvd tray won't recognize it >_<

redduc900 said:
Contact the manufacturer of your DVD drive to see if a firmware upgrade is available which corrects the problem with changing the region setting.

I got the latest firmware upgrade, I don't think they are updating this old thing anymore.

greenmaji said:

Sounds silly but there was a reason why this was inacted (mostly involves piracy from contries that don't have copywrite laws)

Yeah, I might have to do that if nothing else works. Bleh.

itshondo said:
The program AnyDVD eliminates DVD region problems-

You can try it for 21 days to see if it works-

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I'll try this, although it will be the third region eliminator I have tried and none of the others seem to work.

Kirby64 said:
Just use VLC Player

AFAIK, it should be able to play any region of DVDs. Depending on your DVD player though, it may take awhile to start playing (5-10 minutes at the most) because it has to decode the DVD somehow. It works fine for me, and it also doubles as an excelent video player!

Edit: Oh, and it's free, so no trial versions like AnyDVD listed above. :D

Tried this, when I used the 'Open Disc' thing, nothing seemed to happen. But I let it go for about 10 minutes to be sure and it didn't do anything.

Well, I'll try a few more things then I'll give up. >_<

I use a small program called "DVDIdle" it seems to eliminate the region needs of DVD Players. Plus you get some players that will allow you to change the region only a few times (around 5-6)

You could also try "DVD Region Free" I think it is called, by the same company.

:)
I have used these programs for years, especially when DVD Drives were prone to wearing out because of very long runtimes caused by DVD videos

Okay, I'm trying Any DVD now and it actually seems to have read this disc, this is what it says:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.6.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2292282 sectors (4477 MBytes)

I'm gonna try VLC player on it and see if this works ::fingers crossed::'

Edit: VLC player didn't seem to work, neither did Zoom Player. I tried ripping the DVD using Any DVD, since it claimed to know there was a DVD in the drive, but when I attempt to rip it, it says there is no Video_TS present for ripping. I basically give up.

Last edited:
OMG I finally got it working haha, it was a very complicated process.

First I used this patcher to upgrade the DVD drive to 811S (it was a lite-on411s to begin with) not sure if that really did anything, but I tried it anyway.

Second, I downloaded a lite-on region-free utility and disabled the region, which didn't seem to do anything. (or so I thought)

After all this I ran AnyDVD and it finally worked, it's not running on VLC Media player. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm glad its finally working. :D

Edit: Apparently I didnt need AnyDVD, the lite-on utility worked fine on its own.

Last edited:
greenmaji said:

Yeah, but as we've demonstrated in this thread, it's rather simple to step around that copy protection measure, making it nothing but a hassle. And it's quite silly :D

Krack3d said:
OMG I finally got it working haha, it was a very complicated process.

First I used this patcher to upgrade the DVD drive to 811S (it was a lite-on411s to begin with) not sure if that really did anything, but I tried it anyway.

Second, I downloaded a lite-on region-free utility and disabled the region, which didn't seem to do anything. (or so I thought)

After all this I ran AnyDVD and it finally worked, it's not running on VLC Media player. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm glad its finally working. :D

Edit: Apparently I didnt need AnyDVD, the lite-on utility worked fine on its own.

I was just going to suggest a region-free firmware for your drive. I guess I said rip and convert, not thinking that I had done the same thing ages ago, making it a non-issue for me. :) Glad to see you figured it out.

Back