• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

Ok guys I need some advice here.
My dad's computer was running very slowly and after some troubleshooting it turned out the HD was dead and it was replaced under warrenty.
Few days later BSOD error codes ranging from 007A to 00E all pointing to the HD on some way or another.
After some research I found out that it might be a problem with the mobo and NTFS so I reformatted with FAT32 and it worked fine, until last night (about week or two).
I'm getting the same error codes and after an error occurs the computer will have hard time detecting HD's, its stuck on the POST but I can enter BIOS.
This again points me to the IDE controller.

I'm doing troubleshooting from scratch again, I'm currently running memtest to rule out the memory first and I'll update the thread in an hour or two.

System specs are:
Intel Celeron 2.4 (I think its 2.4)
MSI P4MAM2-V
256mb of generic ram
40gb Samsung HD (soposed to be new)
Generic PSU <- prime suspect
Its internet surfing machine only.

If you got anything to input please do, I'm always open for suggestions.

Update 1: Memtest ran for 3.5 hours and no errors so its safe to say the memory is fine, I'm switching now to CPU Burn-In for an hour or two.

Update 2: CPU Burn In passed with flying colors, time for HDD testing.

Update 3: The disk diag passed alright but it failed "Read/Write Via BIOS", I've transferred it to my comp for further testing.

Update 4: Disk diag passed so my guess is we have a bad controller or mobo.

P.S
On a side note: I'm really ****ed now, I was troubleshooting an F-15 in less time then this piece of crap computer!

Last edited:
This might be obvious but have you replaced the IDE cable and made sure it is seated correctly at the mobo end?

1. Try resetting the bios
2. Go to the motherboard's manufacturers website and download the latest motherboard firmware drivers.
3. Some hard drives just don't like to work on some motherboards. Perhaps you're encountering one of these issues. Try going with a completely different model.

roYal said:
1. Try resetting the bios
2. Go to the motherboard's manufacturers website and download the latest motherboard firmware drivers.
3. Some hard drives just don't like to work on some motherboards. Perhaps you're encountering one of these issues. Try going with a completely different model.
1. Done
2. Done
3. HD worked with the mobo for 1.5 years, no reason to stop now.
Thanks for the pointers though.

KillrBuckeye said:
Have you run any diagnostic tests on the hard drive? Sounds like the IDE controller on the motherboard is dying.
Check disk passed fine and now I'm in the middle of the Samsung HUTIL deep cavity search (no lube :eek: ) and so far its passing.
Its starting to smell like the PSU to me, with the IDE detection halts and random BSOD's...

Alright, I got an new Asrock mobo locally and I plug everything in and same thing as before: Its stuck on POST when detecting IDE.
I go into the BIOS and find the 12V rail at 11.10-11.60V, the old MSI mobo didn't have rail monitoring so I've got a new FPS 350W on order.
The PSU was my first suspicion and it proved to be right, I now firmly believe most problems can be traced back to the PSU and even if you are getting a crap *** budget PC get a good brand PSU!

Flip-Mode said:
The PSU was my first suspicion and it proved to be right, I now firmly believe most problems can be traced back to the PSU and even if you are getting a crap *** budget PC get a good brand PSU!

Preach the word, my brotha!

Back