• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub-1 Watt Core Duo CPU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeuerFrei

Another official announcement was the note of a new ultra low voltage Intel Core Duo (Yonah) processor, which the company claims will consume just about 0.75 watts on average "while still delivering high-performing computing power." Sources told TG daily that this new processor will be named Core Duo U2500, has a clock speed of 1.06 GHz and uses 2 MB L2 cache and a 533 MHz FSB. The chip will be priced at $289 at launch sometime this summer.

:santa:

On 533 FSB, imagine at 1066 with some voltage! :clap:

wow that's crazy.

who knows how it scales tho, it might take 1.4v to do 2.5ghz. :(

i just realized this was a core DUO!!? even more impressive.

i bet with one of these and basic video, your HD would be the largest consumer of power. fast forward 5 years with a solid state drives, imagine the possibilities. :eek:

can you post the original article?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
wow that's crazy.

who knows how it scales tho, it might take 1.4v to do 2.5ghz. :(
Personally, I wouldn't expect it to even hit 2 GHz under any conditions. It is not an overclocker's chip. The transistors are engineered for lower power and low speeds and they do an amazing job at that. This brings tremendous potential for the portable market...maybe even handheld devices.

:drool: the battery life would be nuts on that...

imagine a 12cell in that thing :eek: I mean, you can get 6-7 hours right now on certain lappies with a 12cell, that would probably be closer to 15-20 :drool:

Mr. $T$ said:
Finally I can use my collection of 9v batteries.

*ROFL*

Quote Of The Month!

Seriously though. I wonder how powerful this thing is? I mean how does a 1Ghz core duo stack up? I'm thinking the price/performace/battery life will be well worth it.

Shelnutt2 said:
*ROFL*

Quote Of The Month!

Seriously though. I wonder how powerful this thing is? I mean how does a 1Ghz core duo stack up? I'm thinking the price/performace/battery life will be well worth it.

I would probally say in single thread apps somewhere around a PIII-S that's running at perhaps 1.3-1.4? Raw FPU obviously being the core is much more muilimedia oriented then any PIII ever was.

I hope this cpu, will available for purchase. I can smell a htpc, for my needs it will make a perfect htpc. Also say goodbye to via epias.
Thanks

The real question is what does it burn under load? If I run two primes on it will the thing jump to 30w like a normal moble processor? Or is it just one that can uberundervolt and underclock. It's somthing to have a 200Mhz processor sitting doing nothing with most of its transistors turned off then to have one at full speed calculating the atoms in the universe.

I hope this cpu, will available for purchase. I can smell a htpc, for my needs it will make a perfect htpc.

*looks at Prescott HTPC* :sn:

Last edited:
Yes! This is so awesome. I agree, if solid state HDDs come into play....

Plus, look at the first gen DX10 cards. The recent Anandtech article (sorry don't have a link presently) which talked about how high-end GPUs will draw some 300W of power also refered to how there would be a sharp decline in GPU TDP---an overall shift towards more efficient 3d work.

Obviously this is a good thing for us: in this case on two fronts. First on the desktop front, as we're learning with Conroe, an increased focus on efficiency means way more overclockability for those of us who care more about performance than efficiency.

Further, on the mobile front, this means very low-power 3d capabilities will be around as well. Couple this with <1W processors, low-voltage DDR2, solid state HDDs, OLED displays, increased battery efficiency...and you've got a real surf-and-write-on-the-go machine on your hands!

/me hopes this goes down within 25 months

just remeber that what it consumes, and what they say it comsumes will probably be differant. Thats probably 0.75W while its in sleep mode (i know he said average!) But yeah, regaurdless of that, it will be a very low consumption chip.

Even if that proc would consume 10w under load that would be way under the power consumption of current chips. And if you ask me that chips could be cooled pasivley :D

Back