• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using my 7900gtx eVGA step up to a 7950GX2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

Well, the price difference isn't that much, is much cheaper than going SLI, and in comparisons, barely beats two 7900gtx in SLI in most games, so it surely is worth it compared to SLI.

I think I'll have to pay about $150ish or so. You think it's worth it? I do :santa:

Spoudazo said:
Well, the price difference isn't that much, is much cheaper than going SLI, and in comparisons, barely beats two 7900gtx in SLI in most games, so it surely is worth it compared to SLI.

I think I'll have to pay about $150ish or so. You think it's worth it? I do :santa:

if you got the cash go for it personally I wouldn't, I would wait for DX10 for next vcard upgrade but thats a while and by then the step up is not available

Cisco Kid said:
if you got the cash go for it personally I wouldn't, I would wait for DX10 for next vcard upgrade but thats a while and by then the step up is not available

Yeah, thet whole reason I bought an evga card (besides the great warranty service) was for their step-up program.

My 7900gtx still isn't able to play COD2 on my widescreen monitor (1680x1050) and hit 60fps. I usually have to play on my CRT and lower the resolution to 1024x768 to make the FPS stay above 60. I think this card will take care of that :) I probably won't have much time or money near the end of the year during school, so that's why I'm going all of this stuff now as well.

Edit Another reason is because this 7900gtx card I have still makes me nervous. The first one I had, I had to RMA because of horriblea artifacting after 2 days use. This one has been running strong, but too many 7900gt/gtx cards have had similar problems for my liking. :)

WaTTz said:
Man, why do you need to stay above 60FPS ? You cant notice anything above 30 anyhow ...

That's just a 'net rumor that has been debunked. :) For example, some pilots are given a test to test their vision. During these tests, pilots were able to detect FPS up to 90fps. I personally can tell a big difference between 30 and 60, and even 60 to 90.

Once the FPS hits 90-100, games take more of a realistic flow as well. That's why I enjoy using my monitor at 100hz :)

The point is that your eyes may not see above 90fps, your brain can see fluctuation. It would be a lie to say you couldn't "see" your fps changing from 40-80. The point of high fps is so that the fluctuation is less noticable. Such as 80-100, instead of 60-80. The lower the fps are, the slower it is. You can especially tell when you move the cursor around in first person games, because the fps changes will mess with your sensitivity.

lol i hate it when ppl say that the human eye can only see so many fps.... so un ture.

I can tell the difference between 75 and 85 fps in cs... all it does is cut down the time between frames and make the game stagger less... the more fps the more fluid the motion espically in fast moving games. like COD.... but if its a game where ur staring at a white wall and nothings happening hell even 1 fps will suffice but there is no change in the picture so it really doesnt matter.

go for the gx2... if you dont like it you can send it to my house for the Ben H fund of computer knowledge and performance

:beer:

Spoudazo said:
How do you check that? :)
Log in to your profile on evga and click "My products". if youve started a steup the status will be in there.

BTW...got confirmation my card is ready :santa:

Go for the GX2 - those things will fetch a very good price when you try to sell 'em.

Ok, I hadn't got the step-up thing completed, so NOW my name is in the step up list.

Yes, this is the first time I have used it, as this is my first eVGA product (the 7900gtx) :)

Spoudazo said:
Yeah, thet whole reason I bought an evga card (besides the great warranty service) was for their step-up program.

My 7900gtx still isn't able to play COD2 on my widescreen monitor (1680x1050) and hit 60fps. I usually have to play on my CRT and lower the resolution to 1024x768 to make the FPS stay above 60. I think this card will take care of that :) I probably won't have much time or money near the end of the year during school, so that's why I'm going all of this stuff now as well.

Edit Another reason is because this 7900gtx card I have still makes me nervous. The first one I had, I had to RMA because of horriblea artifacting after 2 days use. This one has been running strong, but too many 7900gt/gtx cards have had similar problems for my liking. :)
really?
my 7900gt handles it just fine..hell my x800pro did 1280x1024 just fine @ 60fps constant (on my old crt)

Well, I mean with everything on high.

As for the step up, I'm #202, is that bad? :(

lol

Spoudazo said:
Well, I mean with everything on high.

As for the step up, I'm #202, is that bad? :(

lol

Sounds pretty high heh...but i was on the evga forums snoopin and a dude went from 175 -> 80 -> 54 in 2 days and that was just last night.

I shipped my 7900gtx out today :( I think i was either a lucky one or something cause I had zero issues with it. It didnt however overclock as good a some folks. Mine would only do 690/875 on the stock cooler/stock volts.

Praying i didnt just ask for issues with that step up.

Back