• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid Failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello guys,

My computer no longer wants to boot off of my RAID array. The computer was working great for the past year and a half until this morning. Went to bed last night, every thing was in order but when I awoke this morning, I was greeted with the post screen warning that the drive boot sequence has been changed. I've never dealth with the infamous SATA RAID-0 failure before and I was wondering where I should go from here. How can I tell if it is the controller that has malfunctioned or if it was the drive itself. NV Raid still shows the array as healthy on the post screen. After verifying DMI pool however, the computer hangs and says "Disk boot error - insert system disk".

I booted up the computer using Knoppix Linux, a Live CD variant of Linux. I was unable to acces my RAID array at all but I was able to access the PATA drives with no problem. I'm unsure if any of you would know this but is this because Knoppix does not support RAID or is my RAID array indeed zapped?

Thanks for the help!!

Ish

Have you checked the boot sequence to be sure it has not changed and made sure that all settings are correct in bios to boot from the array?
Had any power spikes or lightning lately?

I would also check the power and sata connectors as they can and do work lose over time. I beleive that Knoppix would detect the array as well as PC dos.

Just stumbled upon this thread and decided to post a LONG overdue update to, hopefully, help someone in the future.

It turns out that this was an issue with the way my motherboard handled RAID drives. I had left my Ipod plugged in overnight and Windows update decided to reboot my computer. When the system posted, it detected the USB drive and added the drive to the drives it could possibly boot from. For some reason, adding ANY drive to the motherboard REQUIRES me to turn off the non-SATA drive(s) in the BIOS and then reboot the system normally. Upon reboot, turn the drives back on. If I don't do this, the system will not boot off of the SATA drive, instead it will try to boot off of the new drive.

So in effect, my computer was trying to boot off of my Ipod and I had to go through the above process and everything was back to normal.

yeah I have a LAN Party ultra nf4 Ultra D. I had my 1Gig USB stick plugged in and it tried to boot from it.

Back