• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clean XP install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flow

Is it possible to do a clean install with the upgrade version of WinXP, provided that you have a win9x or 2k CD at hand??

I don't know if it works with XP but for a CLEAN install with 98SE i just insert CD after formatting hard drive. Within the first few pages it ask for the 98 disk to verify authorization number. After verifying it continues to install 98SE. Perhaps it is the same with the XP upgrade. I find that a clean install runs better than installing 98 first and then installing 98SE over it.

mcennis3 said:
I don't know if it works with XP but for a CLEAN install with 98SE i just insert CD after formatting hard drive. Within the first few pages it ask for the 98 disk to verify authorization number. After verifying it continues to install 98SE. Perhaps it is the same with the XP upgrade. I find that a clean install runs better than installing 98 first and then installing 98SE over it.

I think I know what your talking about..

When I had Upgrade Windows ME when I tried to install from a clean install it said to locate a Windows Directory or a source of Win 98..

I stuck my Windows 98 cd and it continued..

Problem is I don't know if this will work with Windows XP.

Well, it ask for the authorizaton pretty early in the process. If it doesn't work just go ahead and install your earlier OS as suggested, with XP on top...There may be otherways around this but I don't know what they would be

Backup first and then try the clean.. If not do the upgrade thing..

I would really recommend the clean since I seen it work way better from a clean install rather than a upgrade version with some Win 98 files or something :p I hate going os over os.

I'm not sure that previous posts were very clear. One can format their hard disk to be completely empty and then load up a Win9X startup disk (to load CD drivers). At the DOS prompt, type in the letter of your CD-ROM and type 'setup.' Win XP UPGRADE will load, but eventually you will be asked for your original Win 98/ME disk for verification only, then XP UPGRADE will continue. So, you DON'T have to actually install a previous qualifying OS to load up XP clean.

Back