• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1800+ OC to 1900+ @ 123 degrees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alienware XP

:mad: I overclocked it to 1900+ and when i was installing max payne its got 122 and the warning went off, i have a heatsink fan and everything, i have alot of fans in my tower, What can I do?

Thanks for all your help, I have another question, I got it to say 1900+ can i get to to say 2000+, I know my CPU can reach the speed needed but will an 1800+ say 2000+?

Last edited:
Welcome,
Can you please be more specific as to what brand heatsink and what fan is on it.
Also can you tell us what brand-model motherboard you have?

Last edited:
What voltage is the vcore set at?
What temp do you get without the cpu overclocked?
What is the room temp?
50c is very high for a xp cpu.
I would defiantly lose the overclock until you figure out why your temps are so high.

Last edited:
Well The room temp is nice and cool i even lifted to case off the carpet. The temp before overclocking was when i boot up 80 F but after a few mines it went to 113 and when i was playing max payne i didnt have a warning but with it overclocked and me not playing a game the temp was about 115 but when playing and installing max payne as you know 123 F, the cpu core was 1.850.

I am not familar with the general performance of your heatsink.
It may not be making 100% contact with the cpu core.
Did you use a thermal pad or thermal grease when you installed it?
Did you use a shim of some sort?
If you used the proper amount of thermal grease and no shim and are sure its mounted correctly I would say either replace the heatsink with a better model or replace the fan on it with a higher cfm one.

It had a thermal pad on it, i dont know what SHIM is? I will try and take it out but im pretty sure its mounted correctly.

Hugo thanks I will try and take down my voltage, The thing that bothers me is the CPU temp has always been high and I didnt overclock it that much, I went from 1.53 to 1.6. I would like to also thank placid for your imput and thank everyone else im new to the forum and after only 10 mins i have been helped a great deal. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
First welcome to the forums. Second it would be much easier if you would use Celsius.

Ok this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. 50 degrees Celsius does not seem to bad to me for an over clocked cpu that is overvolted and running under load. I would look through the heatsink comparisons on the front page and get one of the good ones if you want to keep oc'ing. In the mean time I would raise your temp alarm to 54 or 55 Celsius. If your cpu hits this you should probably go back to spec till you get better cooling. 55 is high and well your machine may be come unstable running at that temp it will not hurt your cpu.

Another thing that I would do is set the voltage back to spec this will bring down your temps. Voltage will not make a huge difference in how far you can overclock it till you get better cooling.

My 2¢

123F isnt hot at all...

thats like normal..

he has not a thing to worry about...

thats like 30F cooling then what my mobo says im runing.

To me it seems hot, I am running a xp cpu @ 1705mhz 2.05v and hit 44c under full load with a sk6 and a 30cfm delta.
When I used a t-bird in the summer I would hit 50c 1550mhz
1.9v.
The xp's do run cooler thats why I think his temps seems high.

I agree with you Placid his temp is kinda high. Anything above 45c is getting on the hot side to me. You might wanna try lapping your heatsink and use artic silver .

Placid don't get me wrong his temps are high but I don't think there dangerous. During the summer no air conditioning in New York City my cpu ran at an average of 53 to 55 degrees with no ill effects I did have to lower my oc though.

That's with a Swiftech btw and 7 case fans.

I'd be curious to hear what you've got running for case fans, and where they're located, and blowing in/out. If you took off the left side cover, would it look like someone dumped a bowl of spaghetti in the 'puter? Bad airflow, compounded by cables/ribbons in the way...can raise the temps up quite a bit.

That does seem a bit high to me as well...

As soon as you can, ditch that thermal pad on the HSF, and get some Arctic Silver II thermal compound...much better thermal interface than the "pad"...that'll shave a couple of degrees, right there.

IF you want to take the time to "lap" the surface of the heatsink (sand the mounting surface perfectly flat using very, very fine automotive wet/dry sandpaper), this might help a bit more, when you go to replace the pad with the AS II...

My $.02.... ;)

Mr B

**Hmmm...totally missed Trancer24's post...lol So..um...yeah...what HE said...lol ;) ) 88

TRANCER24 said:
I agree with you Placid his temp is kinda high. Anything above 45c is getting on the hot side to me. You might wanna try lapping your heatsink and use artic silver .

These temps would have scared the out of me before last summer and did at first but after I decided if I have to replace it so be it. I let it run and never had a problem.

As for overclocking those temps will not allow for much of one but it wont kill the chip either.

Mr B trust me there is no clutter in my case rounded cables and very organized. I have an antec sx830 case I have tried every combo of fans to create different airflow with no success, when it is 102 degrees in your apartment there is not much that you can do so I finally decided to just get as much air going through it as possible, hence the 7 fans. Three on the front blowing in 2 antec fans and 1 high flow panflow blowing in. The ps fan a high flow panflow an antec fan and a slot fan blowing out. Now that it is cooler I have cut down the fans 2 in 2 out and I get excellent temps under load. Using radiate it shows my hsf getting a CW rating of 2.2. I can live with that.

Hugo 59 said:
Mr B trust me there is no clutter in my case rounded cables and very organized. I have an antec sx830 case I have tried every combo of fans to create different airflow with no success, when it is 102 degrees in your apartment there is not much that you can do so I finally decided to just get as much air going through it as possible, hence the 7 fans. Three on the front blowing in 2 antec fans and 1 high flow panflow blowing in. The ps fan a high flow panflow an antec fan and a slot fan blowing out. Now that it is cooler I have cut down the fans 2 in 2 out and I get excellent temps under load. Using radiate it shows my hsf getting a CW rating of 2.2. I can live with that.

Actually, I posed the question to Alienware XP...lol :rolleyes: ;)

Hugo 59 said:

Oh ok. Good point then:)

I get carried away sometime thinking everthing is about me. ME me me me.:D

rotflmao....:p

I've answered a few like that too... which usually prompts a reply of something like; "Wasn't talkin' to you....Finger Boy !!!"

;)

Back