• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading box... probably asked a million times...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dougan

Here is million and 1. =)
I am upgrading my system form a socket 754 to ? My thing is that I do not want to have to replace ram harddrives etc... So I am thinking Mobo and processor. Can anyone recommend a good board and processor for me. I am looking in the 200.00 range. Ofcourse Newegg also has their open box deals too! Anyways, I have a 9800 pro vid card, so if the boards now have better video, I am interested there as well. Thanks for any advice!

Love the avitar :D

There is news of a Core2 motherboard Asrock is going to realise that will work with DDR and AGP.
(thats all the Conroe info. I'm giving, the Intel section has more if your intrested ;) )

Otherwise A64 would be the only other option that I know of.

Are you intrested in dual-core processing?
If so 3800 X2's might get a price drop (possibly late July)

1)get venice cpu + msi or gigabyte mobo the price range of those mobo is 60-70$ .
2)wait a bit at the end of next month the amd price drop is excepted i hope that x2 will be as low as 100$ then get one :)

Dont go with Gigabyte. MSI would be better. A64 is your best bet. Asrock makes an AMD board that has both pcie and agp. That would allow you to keep your 9800 and upgrade to a pcie in the future.

Wait till all the price cuts are in effect though. Another couple of weeks and they should all be in effect. Should be able to get a Venice 3200 for almost $100. I think the Asrock with agp and pcie is also near $100.

Keep in mind your vid card is probably agp and most new mbs are pci-e. You can get a 939 mb and cpu for $200 new or something even better from classifieds. ;)

I like the MSI Neo2 Platinum for AGP S939 power. It overclocks well and is generalyl a decent board. However I would advise you to take a look at Gigabyte, contrary to CGR. They are one of the better quality control companies. And apparently, in a recent quarter, were almost alone in making a profit out of all the board manufacturers (Asus was too, for some reason).

Well, I am looking at newegg, and for like 70 bucks I can get a pcie card, so that is not out of the realm of things. So from what I am gathering the 3200+ venice is a good chip?

Also, I am seeing the 2800+ am2 for 65, and I am seeing some 240 pin 512 kingston pc 4200 for like 30 bucks.
Would this all work together? Because it looks like I can get into an entry level am2 setup for cheap.

As long as that memory is DDR2 it should work with an AM2 board, but I don't know how expensive the AM2 boards are. It sounds like a nice setup, only reason I suggested AGP was cause I didn't think you wanted to upgrade.

I could upgrade the video card. I see the x1300, for like 60 bucks. Is this better than the 9800 pro?

It also has ddr2 + pcie. Seems like it is faster at 500mhz. This is the x1600 sorry.

the x1600s are nice and fast. But 2 of them are about as powerful as my x850 xt pe. So really, not incredibly fast. X800s are sweet, especially the x800 XTs, pr even Pros. Overclock like mad and perform well.

So I would be wanting an x800 over a x1600?
Thanks again for the replies!

So I guess the last question, should I make the jump to am2 or go with the 939 until a later date?

Back