• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help....Windows 2003 Reporting NTFS Partitions as RAW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

Today I swapped from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 x64, the hard drive I used is a 300 gig Seagate SATA, with three partitions, one 15gig (the OS), and two other NTFS partitions with data.

I left these two alone, formatted as NTFS, but Win2003 refuses to recognize them and states they are RAW. I really need the data on these two partitions, but I don't know how to go about it, apart from sticking the hard drive in another Windows system, something I really don't want to do.
I'm really hoping that the partitions aren't corrupted, but if so, are there any programs that can recover them?

Thanks.

I had basically the same thing happen to me a while ago, this was my thread on it: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=360143
It doesn't have the solution in it. I don't remember for sure what I did, but I'm pretty sure I got it working again. If you haven't gotten it working by tomorrow I'll look at one of my computers with Server 2003 on it and see if I can remember. Good luck!

Have you already tried running the mountvol.exe tool from the command prompt? You can type mountvol.exe /? for a list of available commands.

Well, mountvol.exe didn't help, but at least chkdsk states that the drive still is formatted with NTFS.... I'll try the recovery console next, but I don't have much hope for that either.

Did you try running the command mountvol /E to re-enable auto mounting? I think you can also use the diskpart.exe utility with the automount command to enable auto mounting.

You know what, I seem to remember having this issue as well... with win2k3 enterprise server R2 trial. I seem to remember getting my resolution from th MS site but I don't remember what it was because it wasn't a big deal for me. Sorry, but I had always wondered why it happened.

Well I think my way does basically the same thing as redduc900's. I think I had to right click My Computer and click on Manage. Then go to Disk Management. The partitions will be listed, and you right click on the one that is not showing up, then click on Change Drive Letter and Paths, click Add, and then setup a drive letter for it.

Drive letters are showing up, when I do this it doesn't help, the drive still reports as RAW rather than NTFS.

Thanks for the help though.

Update....

I can see all the data without any problems in Knoppix. I'm not sure how this really helps....I could try and network and transfer the data to another hard disk but unfortunately I don't have the space to try this.

Maybe "Partition Table Doctor" can help you recover the partitions. Chick here to get it a try. Or you can use "Data Recovery Wizard" search and recover your files from the partitons.

it has to do with the limit of 137gb... your drive is larger than that so it is only being able to see 137 gb. check out this site: http://www.48bitlba.com/

i believe it is this tool you need: http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm

it would appear that windows doesn't have large drive support enabled. that tool will simply fix that for you ;) after you run that, it may ask you to restart your computer and then you should be able to see the drive. good luck! let me know how it goes.

Yep, I got this resolved, I used Active Undelete and undeleted everything on the two partitions. I couldn't recover the partitions but I managed to access the files without problems so everything is solved.

Back