• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Components in bubble wrap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadin

Recently, due to too many components and not enough static bags, I took to storing some of the lesser spare parts (NICs, sound cards, etc) sealed in bubble wrap. Anyone know if this is detrimental? I've noticed some new retail components packaged this way (my Audigy, for one) so I assume as long as I'm not rubbing the wrap on my head while scuffing my feet on the carpet that it should be all right.

ur telling us that ur card was wrapped in bubble wrap without a static bag? thats pretty seedy imo...i wouldnt buy from that vendor again.

While reasonable storage is always prefered. I have had parts laying in boxes for long periods of time with no protection.

If you intend to sell the parts, make sure they are packed as you got them, :D

It was a Soundblaster Audigy card, sealed retail box from Newegg. Obviously packaged that way from Creative.

That's kind of what I figured, too. I've found NICs laying under piles of papers that I had forgotten about for God knows how long, and they fired up just fine. I keep motherboards, RAM, hard drives, and video cards in static bags. But for all these other spare parts, I think wrapped nicely in bubble wrap and sealed in a box for storage isn't going to hurt anything. I just wanted to see if anyone had suffered ill effects.

Many companies are taking to using static-resistant bubble wrap to protect their products. Saves money and waste. Here at work I use static-resistant bubble wrap to protect many of the hard drives that we sell.

You'd almost be amazed at the different packing methods that area available for electronics.

Yeah, at my current job I work with a lot of refurbished cellular phones. They always come in just a normal bubble wrap bag inside their box.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Kind of a trivial issue but good to know nobody has found out the hard way that static bags are the only way to go.

You guys are way to paranoid :rolleyes: you think the universe is just going to spawn random static electricity bursts on the wood shelf in your closet? get real hahaha, i just leave stuff stacked on to of eachother, never had a problem.

twoeyes said:
You guys are way to paranoid :rolleyes: you think the universe is just going to spawn random static electricity bursts on the wood shelf in your closet? get real hahaha, i just leave stuff stacked on to of eachother, never had a problem.

Heheh... same here.

Jeezus, I have sound cards, video cards, nics sitting next to each other, and at any time I choose to test them they all work. Go to a computer fare, and they pile cards up on each other, all of which work. The delicate stuff is RAM, motherboards, and CPU's.

I have RAM, mobos, and CPUs (most are fairly old, but the ones that work are going into some test rigs) in antistatic bags. Everything else I have in an old shoebox and nothing's been hurt yet.

the static problem isnt near what it was 25 years ago, stuff then was much more delicate. back then you DEFINATELY wore a static strap, and pulled the chips out of anti static foam to prevent any electrical potential between the pins, and everything was tons more sensative. ive carried sticks of ram just tossed in my bookbag across town, ridin my bike. every stick tested fine when i got to work all 5 sticks (5x128 PC133) tested fine.

times ive worried about static? 0
number of items shipped multiple times in nothing more than newspaper? ~40
parts dead due to static? 0

proper? no
but apartment guides/thrifty nickles are free, and bubble wrap is $$$
and its allways so neat to read them after you unpack things!

This thread amuses me :D when you think about it nobody on this forum questions the idea of cooling a computer with water however we show concern over how we store components.... a little ironic when you think about it

ponkan pinoy said:
Huh? What's so wrong with putting water and electronics together?:rolleyes:

OHH! (raises hand) i learned that one yesterday!
see, i learned that water will kill computer components when cooling parts leak!
isnt that wierd? who would have thought? now my hard drive is dead!
/sarcasm
yeah, newspaper and watercooling that does not leak, FTW.

Back