• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Armor 8003 Has Arrived! (P1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lolek

Registered
Any chance this can be moved to the Modding subforum if it's more appropriate?
I hadn't thought ahead when making this thread. Sorry, folks. :/

Woo! So, my Thermaltake Armor 8003 just came in. I had my doubts for a little while, but I must say--I'm very impressed!
Everything's relatively in tact, the thing's beautiful, and TT took more care for detail in packaging than my previous experiences with other manufacturers. I'll update with some pictures later.

I met the UPS delivery man halfway (my driveway's pretty damn long, didn't want him having to lug 40lbs all the way up!), immediately brought the case upstairs and started unpackaging. Anticlimatic, but I couldn't contain myself. :p

The fancy (anti?) static bag around the Armor was a surprise. I pulled it out, removed the sheath, and set it out on the hardwood floor, since I haven't made a work space for the case yet.

Wow.
They weren't kidding. I've never been good with visualizing sizes, but this thing really is a beast!
Remind me to take a photo of it alongside my current rig. Just wow.

Everything seemed to be in order. Instructions were in the bog, complete with complimentary dust cloth. The little brown box with screws and such, a fan, and a PSU support were inside of the case. I felt foolish when I finally figured out how to take the side panel off--low light, so I hadn't noticed the second clip right away. Opps!

The latch on top for the USB/headphone ports actually came in tact!
Ironically, the rop panel itself is a little warped. I checked this out, and everything seemed undamaged.
Then I noticed the removable panel on the other side. Both panels have a little lip to help in their removal. This one's was dinged square in the middle, making it almost useless. That wasn't the problem, so much as the impact had slightly bubbled the panel itself (so it "pops" if you push on it lightly), and I assume is also to blame for the front-right (facing) corner of the top panel not aligning with the front of the case.
It's really not a big deal, definitely not something I'd dream of sending back the case for an exchange. But do any of you gurus have any tips for very minor repairs on a steel case?

Checking the insides, everything else seemed in order. Despite what many posters have told me, and many more have called shenanigans on, I don't see a problem with my PSU (620HX) reaching the components I'll be putting in. However, the mount for the PSU does seem a little strange, and I can see where it may be a tight fit without flipping the plate.

I haven't messed with it too much, and I don't have any spare parts lying around right now to fire her up, but everything seems to be in working order with my new Armor. I'll probably hold off on any blatant modifications until I've got the rest of my system put together. In the meantime, I'll dig out my camera for some picture goodness if anyone's interested. :)

tl;dr: Bought TT Armor 8003 (The one with the fan) from Newegg, with UPS 3-day ground shipping. It arrived on time, and in better-than-expected condition.

Alright, so just to make this a little more intesting for our home viewers, what should we do to this poor, unsuspecting case to take it from its current form to something a little more lively--like an ultra-cooled gaming beast, or a miniature mechwarrior? You know, nothing too overboard. ;)
I already have Thideras list of suggestions, and will be taking most of them into consideration.

--Internal water-cooling system (Thideras). Sounds fun, and convenient. Granted, we won't be moving this monster around much, but it can't hurt, right?
--Wheels! (Thideras) Wheels are fun. That'll definitely save some strain on my back.
--Hinged LCD display. I got the idea from the case gallery here on OCF. It was a much smaller monitor, on a smaller case (I believe), but I figure the removable back panel of the Armor can fit (if not support) up to a 19" or 20" LCD monitor with little problems. But is it worth it? I might tweak this some.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. More later?
--Lolek

Last edited:
So, phase 2 has met a hold up. I had planned to get the Corsair 620HX for my PSU needs.

But uh.. According to Newegg and http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine , that's not going to even come close to cutting it for my higher-end proposed rig setup.

According to PSUExtreme
1x Q6600 G0 (though I'm waiting for the Penryn release in Janurary)
1x "High-end Motherboard" (I figured it'd be on the safe side to go with this)
85% TPD utilization
Overclocked to 3.4GHz (no idea what value to put for vcore, so I picked an arbitrary 2. THIS IS PROBABLY THE PROBLEM~ Keepin the vcore at the stock 1.25 takes the CPU wattage down 300w!)
4Gb of DDR2 RAM
2x SLI 8800GT
2x SATA (0x IDE, SCSI, which probably won't be the case)
1x Combo Drive
1x PCI Sound-blaster
1x Extra PCI-e Card 16x (just incase)
2x USB devices (Keyboard/Mouse)
1x Firewire
1x Fan Controller (in case)
1x Cold Cathode (in case)
2x 120mm LED 2x 92mm Fans (Stock for the Armor 8003)
1x 25mm LED Fan (stock, see above)
Nothing for the alternative cooling, which IS something I'm considering for later
90% system load
20% Capacitor Aging

822W

Can anyone help me see where I'm going wrong here? Mind you, 2 SATA drives is a VERY conservative estimate for Storage, I might end up going with a 780i MB and Penryn Quad, 4GB of RAM isn't even maximum for most current MBs, and I'm still altogether barely maxing out what I could between this case and my ideas for motherboards.
Still, something seems very, very wrong about this reading. Is it because of the processor overclocking? Am I doing it wrong? And good lord, imagine if i overclocked the GPUs as well!

Ninja Edit:
Okay, so I drop the vCore down to the stock 1.25, add x2 7200RPM SCSI drives and two more PCI slots, and my recommended wattage is only 738W. :rolleyes: Can you tell I'm new to this?

Of the case? Coming. It's all I've managed to purchase so far. : /
I've been a little tied up with finals week~ No fun a!t all. Should be up by this weekend at the latest

PSU calcs are silly, 620W is fine. although a 750 wouldn't be out of the question.

PSU calcs are silly, 620W is fine. although a 750 wouldn't be out of the question.

Is it a matter of load, then? Insofar as why the recommended wattage is so damn high? A la--I'd never have all of those components all running at 90% load at the same time?

Back