• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP90C Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0dec

I am currently running the below system but the CPU is running at 42C on idle! I think this is a little high, yes the CPU is overclocked but if i try to up the vcore up 3.3 under full load my CPU temp goes up to about 62C!!

I have re applyed my Artic Silver 5 paste to my Thermalright XP90C base and purchased a new 92mm fan which puts out 56CFM, but still im having issues :(

Any ideas? I always thought the XP90C was a great cooler!

Cheers
Dan

have you followed the instruction about applying AS5?
Was the heatsink and IHS cleaned properly beforhand?
Have you tried reseating the X90c?
What is the ambiant temperature where the PC is situated?

have you followed the instruction about applying AS5? - Yes but i was worried to put to much on as i have in the past with other coolers.
Was the heatsink and IHS cleaned properly beforhand? - Yes
Have you tried reseating the X90c? - Yes
What is the ambiant temperature where the PC is situated? - Not sure but for the Uk the weather is quite hot at present, around 25-30C outside and i live in a top floor flat, so it does get hot sometimes.

if no one said it already... :welcome: to the forums!

I have the XP90c and a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999613

even w/o the fan on it is still 38 idle 45 load
w/ fan on it is 35 / 43 ....

maybe the IHS is seated wrong ... i've seen it happen many a time where you can't get good temps no matter how many times you re-seat the heat-sink... only re-seat the IHS if you know that's what the problem is, as it is more risky than just reseating the heat-sink...

I think the fan should be fine. Make sure your only using a very small amount of AS5 in the middle of the IHS, and that everything holding the heatsink is secure(mounting bracket and clips). Also, you could try lowering your V-Core to stock(1.5 I think), a 132mHz overclock should take much more.

Another problem could be that the temperature sensor is just off.
What are the rest of your system temps?

Case temp is around 26C on idle, not sure on board temp as I cannot find a reading for this.

The TFB0912UHE looks like a great fan but 60DB in my front room would be unbearable. I was using a 53DB fan and i got moaned at by my gf for that! "sounds like a hoover" lol :)

As above I do own that Vantec fan but again at 56DB it is far to loud for my PC at home :( When i used this fan fo testing, the idle temp went down to around 34C i think.

I might remove the IHS and sand it down before reseating it and readded less AS5....?

what are you sanding down? the cpu die? thats abit risky. if you're talking about sanding the XP-C, i recon you shouldn't, you'll prob never get as flat a surface as thermalright has done them. AS5 takes time before it starts to set and temps should progressively get better over a week or more.

What is your V-Core at? In the first post you said 3.3v, but I don't think there are any boards that go that high, 1.7v is probably the highest you should run daily, and even that is pretty high for air cooling.
You should be using a drop of AS5 about the size of half a grain of rice. You want a very thin spread when you push the heatsink down.
Lapping(sanding) the heatsink and/or processor won't fix temperatures that high.

its at stock voltage at the mo running 2530mhz.

I was considering lowering my ram timings from 2-2-2-5 1T to gain a higher fsb. Would this be advised? And if so what timings would suit?

c0dec said:
I am currently running the below system but the CPU is running at 42C on idle! I think this is a little high, yes the CPU is overclocked but if i try to up the vcore up 3.3 under full load my CPU temp goes up to about 62C!!

I have re applyed my Artic Silver 5 paste to my Thermalright XP90C base and purchased a new 92mm fan which puts out 56CFM, but still im having issues :(

Any ideas? I always thought the XP90C was a great cooler!

Cheers
Dan

That does sound high, check the seating, also how is your airflow ?

you only need about a grain of rice sized amount of AS5.

PS. you apply the AS5 to the cpu die then take any extra & rub it into the HS base, just a small amount.

c0dec said:
its at stock voltage at the mo running 2530mhz.

I was considering lowering my ram timings from 2-2-2-5 1T to gain a higher fsb. Would this be advised? And if so what timings would suit?

NO! right now your haveing a heat issue, I wouldnt raise your fsb until you clear that up.

I have ram that runs at 2225 & wouldnt give it up not even for higher FSB, I did several tests with lower timeings & 3.2Ghz none of my tests could beat 3.0Ghz @ 2 2 2 5 timeings, I dont care what anyone sayes, I did the testing & scores were better at 3gig & 2225 than 3.2 at looser timeings. I should have taken screens.

The heat issue could just be down to my lack fo a decent 92mm fan? the one im using only puts out 40CFM

Back