• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique my FragBox II configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLUEFRAG

Registered
I originally posted this on another site but I want your opinions too..

I am buying a FragBox II from Falcon Northwest. I've been thinking about it for a while and have been on the phone with Falcon, and the config for the system I plan on getting is:

FragBox II / FragBox Logo
Windowed Side Panels for Fragbox Chassis
Silverstone600Watt P/S W/short cable kit
EVGA Nforce Micro-ATX SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3800+ Dual Core
Zalman CNPS7000LED ALCU (AMD)
PC3200DDR 2048MB (2PCS 1024)
(Single) nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB
FA404 Int. USB2.0 Flash Media/Floppy
No Raid
Western Digital 250GB 16MB Cache SATAII
Lite-On 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Integrated On-Board Audio
3-Year Parts and Labor

I know my CPU is probably my weakest link, but I plan on upgrading that to a 4400+ or so a while after the price drops. Any comments on my system? Keep in mind that I can't spend much more money...

"EVGA Nforce Micro-ATX SLI Motherboard" <- This is my only Mobo choice becuase of the SFF of the case, so that limits some of my choices, such as no Intel CPUs :rolleyes:

eh?

And is the 939 socket just completly dead? I don't know a whole lot about AM2 :(

-Thanks

if you cant spent much money why are you getting a computer that uses off teh shelf components from a manufacter? everythign they list you can get better and cheaper somewhere else.

I said I cant spend much more money. And what about the socket 939?

how much are you spending? Because im sure we can come up with a better computer for a lot less or spend the same amount and get a better one.

As for 939 its a fine socket but i dont see any reason not to get an AM2 board.

Do you know of any SLI MATX mobos that support AM2? Because the reason I don't have AM2 is becuase the EVGA Nforce Micro-ATX SLI Motherboard is 939... hmm

Do you need SLI? What monitor do you have? If you won't be running above 1600x1200, you can find a single card that will easily max out any game and won't have to waste colossal amounts of money on SLI. The PC in my signature can max out any game I own at 1600x1200 (not all with AA, but there are better video cards) and the total price is around $850 without the processor. (there is going to be a huge price drop soon, so I didn't add that)

EDIT: I just configured a similar PC on their site, and they estimate $2900, without monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers

Last edited:
You might want to look at building a PC based on this barebones, if you want to go SFF.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101004

You would need a video card with a 1 slot cooler if you wanted to put a nice sound card in, meaning a 7900GT would probably be the fastest you could put in it right now, but you'll find it PLENTY fast as long as you aren't running rediculous resolutions. It has 4 DDR2 slots, which is very uncommon in a PC this small (probably 1/4 the size of the Fragbox II) and room for plenty of hard drives.

I don't care much for the shuttles, I would really like to have something with a standard MATX mobo and a standard size PSU, and the FragBox isnt really that much bigger, 10.75" Wide, 8" High, 14.75" Deep, mainly it's just deeper.

Oh,Yuriman, how do you like your CPU? Is yours AM2 or 939?

EDIT: Nvm i just googled that mobo and obviously its 939.

Its 939, but I find it plenty fast for everything. Even at stock, its capable of pushing the frames in any game. I'm really only video-card limited, because I like to run really high resolutions. The higher clocks help with encoding speed though.

So do you think it would be a waste of money to buy a 939 board at this point? Is AM2 going to take over that fast?

They will not ever make anything new for socket 939. What is out right now is more mature than AM2, and performs the same, but its dead-end as far as upgrading goes. You are better off going with a pre-built AM2 mid-tower than anything else.

Okay, thast pretty much what I figured, thanks. So as for my graphics card, nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1024MB, sound good or would you suggest some thing different? 7900GTX?

The 7950 is 2 low-power (laptop) 7900's in SLI on a single card. I think its pretty well the fastest single card there is, but you'd get better performance with X1900 crossfire (probably), or possibly with regular 7900GTX SLI. I don't know if the GX2 is clocked lower. I'd rather stick with a single card in any case.

So, whether you like the idea of buying a boutique system or not, does that setup look solid to you? And will it be solid for a while to come?

BLUEFRAG said:
So, whether you like the idea of buying a boutique system or not, does that setup look solid to you? And will it be solid for a while to come?

should hold you over untill directx10 which is what 2007 i think

Back